Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions 50 Cal

Old 01-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Traditions 50 Cal

ORIGINAL: pa257

2. I noticed that I had almost no delay when I primed the pan with less powder. I was also tapping the powder towards the touch hole so that it would dam up against the touch hole. I'm guessing this actually added to the delay?

3. I think cayugad mentioned using windshield washer fluid to clean between shots, can I do that with 777? I happened to find a gallon in my garage, and I thought this would work better than my spit cleaning.
Yes, you only need the bottom of the pan with a few grains in the bottom. If you fill up the whole area, you get a flash, it burns and then jumps into the touch hole. Best to let it "jump up" into the touch hole instead of burning down. This is another source of delayed ignition.

Windshield washer fluid 50/50 with rubbing alchol works well. Use the 92% rubbing alcohol. It is difficult to keep patches wet all the time, so place them in a zip lock bag and squeeze them out before you put them down the bore. Alway run a dry patch after it, use both sides of the dry patch.
You charge and bullet are fine for flintlock hunting. Chap
Old 01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Now for a couple of more questions:

1. The powerbelts are easy to seat without a lot of resistance, would a tighter fitting projectile be more accurate? Is that the general rule of thumb?

2. I noticed that I had almost no delay when I primed the pan with less powder. I was also tapping the powder towards the touch hole so that it would dam up against the touch hole. I'm guessing this actually added to the delay?

3. I think cayugad mentioned using windshield washer fluid to clean between shots, can I do that with 777? I happened to find a gallon in my garage, and I thought this would work better than my spit cleaning.

[hr]

1. Powerbelts are generally considered a loose fitting conical. If they shoot well for you, thats all you need. You could also try some all lead conicals. Maxiball, Great Plains, BullShop, in case you're not happy with powerbelts.

2. Many times with a flinter, less in the pan is better. You want that pan to explode with sparks. When you get too much, or push it against the touch hole you create a fuse effect where the spark ignites the pile and basically burns its way to the main charge.

3. Windshield washer fluid and isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50. That is a good swab solution and will clean Triple Seven powder just fine.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Chap and cayugad.

As much as I love to shoot my rifles this muzzleloader stuff is great. Lots of powders, conicals, round balls etc to try. I don't reload for my rifles but this is pretty close. Maybe I'll start reloading now.