Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Genesis & 200 gr XTPs >

Genesis & 200 gr XTPs

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Genesis & 200 gr XTPs

Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Genesis & 200 gr XTPs

Well the thermometer said it was eight above and that was good enough for me. I took some blue MMP .40/.50 sabots out and some .40 cal 200 gr XTPs to try in the Genesis. I decided that I would shoot Pyrodex RS at 100 grains.

So I dug the target stand out and backed it up to 50 yards according to my range finder. I shot for the big center bull first and the first shot on a clean barrel was a little off. Not too bad. The next three were good. It was nice and sunny and that target showed up perfect today. I was swabbing between shots, but it was a little ruff on the bare hands. I was swabbing with pure isopropyl alcohol and one dry patch after. Also I was using Winchester W209 primers.

The lower left bulls eye I kicked the powder charge up to 110 grains and shot three. I think I found the amount for this powder and projectile. That group for a 1x32mm scope was extremely good for my standards.

To prove the powder charge I shot at the right bull and again it was grouping them fine. So to prove I could do it, I aimed about two inches under the bull and it hit about two inches high like all the other shots.

By now the dog was frozen to the ground, and I was not much better. My fingers were hurting and so I decided to call it a day. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow. All the way up to 22 degrees.. almost balmy.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Genesis & 200 gr XTPs

Good shooting. Cold fingers[:@]. 13 here this morning. 4 hours in a treestand, Fingers still hurt.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, that's some good shooting Cayugad. Great groups. I've never hunted with those bullets. In fact, the five shots I took with them in the X7 were the first I've ever shot. I'm looking forward to trying them in my .45 GM LRH Renegade barrel. If I can get groups like that they will be my go to bullet for that gun.

It takes a dedicated (or really bored) man to hit the range at eight degrees.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Good shooting. Cold fingers[:@]. 13 here this morning. 4 hours in a treestand, Fingers still hurt.
We had -11º this morning. I'm sure the neighbor down by the rifle was at least -15º .. he's always colder then I am.

Semisane.. even though it was cold, I have shot in colder. I just have not got used to this cold this year. And actually if the dog had not be sitting there whinning and had ice forming off his whiskers.. I'd have probably shot longer but since I had to get him back to the house I decided to go with him.

Do you think that 200 grain would be a good deer load? Personally I see no reason why not. After all a roundball is 177 grains and that flattens them. These should hit and expand like the devil, so if put into the vital organs and they expand at all, it should be a good load. Now if I ever see a deer in this country again..
Old 12-31-2008, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is really good shooting.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good shootin Dave!

Did you get that old dog up and into the house?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

good shooting. I think you found the load for that gun.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad, just out of curiosity, did you swab the barrel with alcohol before your first shot or just a dry patch to remove excess oil? When I get mine sighted in I want to see if theres a big difference on the first shot between one that was alcohol swabbed and one that was dry swabbed to get the oil out from storing it. The reason would be a little extra insurance against any rust when hunting all day in damp/humid conditions and possibly leaving it loaded overnight. Thanks, Brad
Old 12-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you think that 200 grain would be a good deer load? Personally I see no reason why not. After all a roundball is 177 grains and that flattens them. These should hit and expand like the devil, so if put into the vital organs and they expand at all, it should be a good load.
I don't know how many people are using them, but I've seen a few very positive reports on them and don't recall ever seeing a bad report. A 170 grain 30-30 Winchester bullet at 1900/2000 fps is a sure killer (different bullet construction, of course). If that XTP holds together it ought to do fine.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:35 PM

realy impressed with that shootin,ain't had mine out yet,you are shootin good,chuckell.....

Quick Reply: Genesis & 200 gr XTPs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.