Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck >

Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

Very nice!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that's one of the prettiest mule deer I've ever seen. I have a sweet spot in my heart for the really symetrical ones. Congrats!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

dayum!!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on an awesome animal!
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

WOW, Congrats,
That has got to be one of the most perfect racks I've seen on a mulie much less one heck of a shot. Great story too.
Were you using snow shoe's? I would like to hear more for sure.... I'm in NY and it gets cold here and I will hunt all day in all kinds of weather but my hands get cold if I sit too long. Are you walking and scouting vast terrian w/ a spotting scope and wearing lighter clothes w/ heavy stuff in your pack? Your photograph is supurb! Were you w/ other folks or did you pack the camera in too? Got to have been a heavy pack much less packing the meat out too.
I would love to hear more for sure.
AGAIN Congrats on a hunt of a lifetime!
Steve

Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you everyone! I couldn't sleep really well last night because I am still on cloud 109! To get such an opportunity at such a fine buck is a dream come true!

I was hunting public land many miles away from any established road. The snow was deep but luckily pretty hard in most places so I didn't have to use my snowshoes much! But when I was in the soft snow it was about knee deep in places where fresh snow had been blown into drifts. I was hunting vast terrain soa good set of Nikon binos and spotting scope was a must.I glass and find a deer that I may want to sneak on and put a plan in place to close the distance. In my pack I carry my spotting scope, tripod, camera, knive set, extra clothes, snacks and water. It was a physically challenging hunt to say the least. The ups and downs of the terrain wore me out that is for sure!

I was using a Thompson Center Endeavor, Shockwave 250 gr. spirebullets/sabots, and 150 gr.of Triple 7 pellets and primers. The bullet entered the buck behind the left shoulder and exited the opposite shoulder dropping the buck in his tracks.

I had sighted in the TC at 150 yards and could consistantly hit a 10 inch target at that range. At 186 yards I knew I needed to hold a hair high and really concentrate on the fundamentals that I learned in the military. When the smoke cleared and he was laying motionless on the ground...........emotions hit me!!
Old 12-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Another pic....

Old 12-21-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Yet another.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Last one..

Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is AWESOME!!!!

Quick Reply: Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.