Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck >

Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

On December 19th I set out with my smokepole in hand in search of a mature mule deer buck in SD. The week prior I spotted some nice bucks the day before season but as luck would have it, the opener was a nasty day with gusting winds, blowing snow,and temperatures well below zero. As I returned on the 19th I had hopes of finding one of the bucks that I had seen the days prior. I was able to find a buck that I had a chance at earlier in the season and quickly began to trudge through the snow in hopes of closing the distance to the buck. Little did I know is that I would come across a much bigger buck in the process......[/align][/align]I first spotted him at close to 500 yards away, actually he spotted me first and he made sure he put some extra terrain between him and I....when I saw him there was no question that he was a shooter. I didn't have to ask myself if he was a buck that I had wanted! There was no question. So the search began; I finally located the buck after following his tracks over numerous ridges and through many draws, trudging through knee deep snow as I went with temperatures hovering around the 0 degree mark. I finally was able to catch up to him and watched him from 300 yards as he and a spike and doe dug through the snow in search of food. They continued over one more ridge and into a draw. I was sure that he would not leave the next draw. He was relaxed again and went about his normal routine. As I neared the top of the ridge where I last saw the buck I took off my pack and began crawling through the snow paying careful attention that I didn't fill my barrel with snow in the process! When I neared the crest I spotted the deer feeding unaware of the audience they acquired. I pulled my range finder to my eye and read 186 yards. I felt comfortable in the prone position as I readied for the shot. I had sighted the muzzleloader in at 150 yards so I knew I needed to hold a bit high. The fiber optic open sights settled on the buck but he turned away and was now facing directly away. I watched him for 15 minutes before he finally turned and was broadside. The sights became steady again as I cocked the hammer and began to squeeze the trigger. A puff of smoke obscured my veiw. When the smoke cleared I could see him laying on the ground! He dropped in his tracks! I quickly gathered my gear and set off to take a look. [/align][/align]I new he would surpass the 180" mark but didn't truely know how big he was until I got him packed out and back to the truck. After putting the tape on him three times I kept coming up with numbers over 190"! The official scoring will take place in 60 days to come up with the final score. He could quite possibly be the biggest typical mule deer killed with a muzzleloader in SD and be within the top few typical mule deer bucksever taken in the state of SD![/align]

Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

congratulations !!!!! That is one nice animal, 186 yds. with open sights, that is incredible,

looks like you have a TC. Endeavor there, what did you have it loaded with ???
Old 12-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on an outstand mule deer!!!! And a great write up may I add. That is some outstanding shooting. Open sights at that distance. WOW!! my hats off to you on that shot.

What kind of rifle, projectile and powder charge were you shooting. Also where did the bullet hit, and did it come out at that distance?

That must have been a lot of packing to get that hog out of the back country.. Again, congratulations.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Very, very nice. Congratulations indeed. Nice buck and great story and an excellent shot.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 AM

congradulations,and very well done,that deer is outstanding,and 186 yds isnt no chip shot.thanks for sharing the story and pics with us
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Now look here Jared, when Mulies mate with Elk and produce hybrids like THAT........

Excellent Buck! Hunt of a life time Outstanding marksmanship!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

186 yards, with irons, DRT...I love it. Few deer as gratifying as the couple I've done that with, but none of mine could hold a candle to ONE SIDE of that buck!!! I bet you were so excited it wasn't even hard to drag him. Congrats!
Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the super mule deer buck.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:49 AM

That is one fine buck!!!! You didn't give up and you finished it with an excellent shot!
Zen
Old 12-21-2008, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a humdinger for shore....congrats/

Quick Reply: Pics of my SD Muzzleloader buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.