Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pellets or powder

Old 12-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pellets or powder

"i have a traditions pursuit he has a knight of some kind he got from his gramdpa it says t blot on the barrel do you think the powder is better for all rifles?"

Uncletj;

I also have one of them knights that says T-Bolt on the Barrel. it is a .50 with a 22" barrel. They came with musket cap nipples and are for loose powder. you can also use a regular #11 nipple with them. I always shot loose Pyrodex or goex 2F in mine.

This is a link to the Knight's T-bolts manual: http://images.ebsco.com/pob/knightri...mplete_web.pdf

Ken
Central NY
Old 12-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: pellets or powder

I shoot triple seven pellets out of My omega, and have never had a misfire, or hangfire(knocks on wood). My Dad has an encore, and uses them also never had a misfire/hangfire. My Grandpa has a remington 700 ML, and His will missfire with the pellets, and hangfire almost every time. He's even did the 209 conversion on it. What We think it is, is His breech plug has about a half inch recessed spot in it where the pellets won't go down in. The T/C don't have that. They are flat on the end. So its less distance for the spark to go. Maybe Your sons gun is like that. I don't know if You can get different style breech plug or not, but that might solve Your problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 AM
Spike

I am new to BP hunting. Would someone tell me which is better; IMR White hots, T7 pellets, Or loose powder. CCI 209 will be the ign. The distance I will be shooting is between 80 and 120 yards. I am starting out with BAR TMZ H/P B/T W/PLUG 250 gr. I will be using a CVA accura, 27" barrel with 1 in 28" twist. 50 cal.
Which charge will burn cleaner????

N.R.A. Life Member,,,,You should be too!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you use the Pellets have you been putting the (Black Igniter End) down the Barrel first? The pellets have this black end on one side to supposedly give better ignition to them. Both Loose Powder and Pellets can go bad if not properly stored right, they need to be kept away from humidity and heat. Pellets usually go bad first.
Also Loose Powder also has it's advantages, with loose powder you can shoot a load other than just 100gr's or 150gr's with the 50gr pellets or 60gr,90gr,120gr150gr with the 30gr 50 Cal Pellets. In other words with loose powder you find your load that shoots best out of your MLer it could be from 80-110gr's of powder or anywhere inbetween, you cant do this with pellets. And whenever possible use a 209 primer with Pellets.
(BP)
Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see no benefit to using pellets. Powder for me.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Loose powder is more consistent pellets have more weight irregularity.
"Which powder is cleaner?" There is no question that Blackhorn is the cleanest but only Black Mag and 777 pellets are more expensive so some don't like the price.
There are a couple other things that enter in to the question in my experience, Pyrodex has a soft residue which you can load a couple shot over and still maintain accuracy; 777 needs to be swabbed out real good to maintain accuracy and if you are among the group that gets crud ring that can be a problem.
With that particular gun some have found it best if they use CCI209M or Federal 209's for Blackhorn. Lee
Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have a traditions persuit also and I shoot pyrodex pellets with powerbelt bullet and get pretty good accuracy with it.