Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pellets vs powder

Old 04-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pellets vs powder

I' ve been told, and have read that powder is more accurate than pellets. Well, the other day I shot my new knight disc for the first time. After shooting both propellants at 100grs. with the same bullet, the powder is hands down more consistant and more accurate then the pellets, at least in my Knight. After showing some other guys the targets, they could see the difference plain as day. I' m just giving my 2cents in case someone else is shooting pellets and wondering if that is the best their gun can do.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:23 AM

Default RE: Pellets vs powder

There are a lot of folks who love pellets, but I' ve always been a powder person myself for many reasons: Control of my load, consistancy, and cost.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

Every rifle is a world in its own when it comes to what shoots the best.In the pic below is a group shot with 2-50 gr pellets and 1 shot with 100 grs pf pyrodex in a T/C encore 50 cal.can you tell which one is which?
Old 04-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

When I started shooting blackpowder I used loose powder. I switched to pellets when I realized that the wind can reek havoc on your load. Not because of bullet drift, but because of the wind changing your load...say from 100gr. to 95gr. with those other 5gr. blowing away.
All thing being equal, there is no way that your bullet will impact the same hole with 100gr and 95 gr of powder.
Then you introduce the question of pressure...the pellets are formed under uniform pressure. When you load your rifle, can you be absolutely sure that you have compacted your powder/bullet combination to the same pressure every time?
Yes, I know the deal with marking your ramrod to be sure, but what about a fast reload for a follow up shot when your adrenline is pumping? Not seating the powder/ bullet combo properly can meet with hazardous results.
Any more, all I shoot is pellets, and work up an accurate load by trying different bullet weights/shapes.
This is just my two cents.
Good luck and good hunting.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

I see you are using fairly light bullets. How is the 195gr. Barnes on whitetails. How much bullet drop do you get at 150yds. with the 195gr.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry i haven' t shot it yet past 100 yds,didn' t get a chance to try it on a deer yet either,hunting for a week and didn' t see a deer this year,but did take one last year at 155 yds with a knight and 225 pB bullet.
Haven' t had much range time so far this year because of bad weather but hope fully will pick up the slack after turkey season,working on loads for a 270 WSM at the same time now also.
Those groups were with a 50 cal barrel,just got back a 45 barrel from T/C with 1:28 twists and wanting to shoot the same bullet in it if it does as good in it.Got a few shots before the rain started Sunday evening trying 3f T7 and got a 1.043 in group with 3F T7,100 grs and the 195 barnes, after shooting some pellets and cleanshot,so next time I want to start out with the T7 and a clean barrel and go up and down on the load to see what groups I get.
Been having a hard time getting the 195 gr barnes,one shop I had to order some back during hunting season and hasn' t got them in yet.one shop got 3 of the 10 pack in and I bought all 3 but I am about out.I found them in Cabelas and order 2 25 count boxes which should be here next week.
will post results as I get them worked out.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:11 AM

When bench sighting my TC Encore, I used 2 50gr pyrodex pellets with 240gr XTP sabots. With that configuration the holes all touched each other out to 150yds.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I still shoot loose powder in my .54' s , but pellets work best for me in my .50 . Consistant pressure is a big plus , especially in a speed sheel for follow up shots .
Old 05-31-2003, 08:41 PM

I shoot powder only. I' ve always shot powder and watched a guy fuss over putting pellets in upside down at the range one day. I never put my powder in backwards. Maybe you pellet guys can tell me whats up with the way you have to put the pellets in. Is there an up or down? Does it make a difference?