Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 54 Lyman drops mangy mulie >

54 Lyman drops mangy mulie

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

54 Lyman drops mangy mulie

Old 12-13-2008, 06:23 PM
mountaineer magic

Default 54 Lyman drops mangy mulie

Went out for opening day. Saw 4 groups of does . none close enough..Finally found a solitaire doe 160 yards away. Stalked within shooting distance, about 90+ yards. She had bedded down and I worked my way around the backside of the hill and crosswind. I crept up over the hill and was straight across from her. She was looking away and didn't spot me. I got into position and just watched her for a little while. I thought she looked really old as her face and muzzle looked kind of silver white . I moved my gun into position when she looked at me. I wanted to get her attention so she would stand up. As soon as she stood, I shot.She jumped and went over the ridge( she was at the top).went back to get the 4 wheeler and my little hunting buddy(Micah) We drove to the top of the ridge to go and look for her. I got off the I saw her at the bottom.She didn't go anywhere. She must have been dead when she hit the ground.Lyman 54 cal. 90 gr. 777, 425 gr Hornady Great Plains Bullet.Winchester mag.#11 cap. 90+ yards.
I walked to the bottom to gut her and saw that she wasn't old with a white /silver face. She had mange really bad. At least it looked like mange. The hair was just about gone on her ears,muzzle,face and part of the neck. Looked bad enough I decided not to touch her. I left her lay. I got to many dogs and livestock to take a chance. There were plenty of coyote tracks around so they get a free meal. First time I've ever seen this and first time I've ever been successful without bringing anything home. Anyone ever hear of a deer getting mange??

Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 54 Lyman drops mangy mulie

they loose their hair or it can loose patches of hair... yes I have heard of it but never have saw it in the wild.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

That one looks more like a piebald color variation............................Harold
Old 12-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

The photo was found in a series of pictures concerning the effects of deer mange. Some of the other pictures looked like all the hair fell out.