Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Best Long Range Bullet >

Best Long Range Bullet

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best Long Range Bullet

Old 12-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Best Long Range Bullet

What bullet have you guys used for longer range, 150-200 yards, shooting? Would you hunt with it?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Long Range Bullet

ORIGINAL: Big Ol Gobbler

What bullet have you guys used for longer range, 150-200 yards, shooting? Would you hunt with it?
I have shot a lot of different pointed high BC bullets inclusing:

Harvester PT Gold
Parker Ballistic Extrement
Barnes TMZ
Barnes Spitfire
Barnes Origonal
TC SW
TC SW bonded

Without a doubt the most accurate bullet on the market is the TC SW, it shoots well in most guns and is just one accurate bullet. The next most accurate bullet is the parker ballistic extreme, it is an excellent whitetail bullet, I wouldn't use it on elk, that is just me though. I am currently using Barnes Origonals 300g in a Crushed Rib sabot and shooting them at 2350 in a Savage with 4198, they hold togher very well, acutully they don't expand that well. They are accurate killers to 200 yards because their BC is .292. if you hunting big corn and bean fields in the mid west I would shoot
Barnes TMZ or new Barnes T-EZ (flat based barnes TMZ)
Barnes Origonal
Parker BC
TC SW.

If price is a big variable for you, shoot the 300g SW, not the 250, they frag on close shots. That is just my opinion form a lot of reading and some shooting of all these bullets. My story on shooting all these bullets for accuracy is here:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/this_is_my_savage_10_ml_page.htm

I like STRONG bullets that shoot thru and don't fragment. I believe in the "Court of bullets"
Accuracy is king
Penetration is queen
Expansion is prince
and shoot thru is princess.

Must have all 4 for me, just my opinion.

Barnes Origonal hunting with it now. 2 deer DRT. I think I will switch next year to a Barnes MZ, I don't need 200 yards back east here, 150 max is all I need.
Parker Ballistic Exreme, 8 deer last year. Good bullet, I would not say STRONG however, no shoot thru at all angles, would I use it again. Yes.
TC SW, regular not bonded, I have read about fragmentation and pencil thru without expansion, many guys I respect use this bullet and they are smart good hunters, and they know how to use them with high shoulder shots. I would use it, they gave me this accuracy in my savage:
Barnes TMZ I would use that as first choice if it was accurate in my gun, it wasn't.
Harvester PT Gold, I would not use it, since it doesn't have enough of a track record for me. If guys that I know and respect are using it, they that would weigh heavy in my decision to use it.

Chap
Old 12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of us use the 200 or 250 SW, some use the 300gr SW first requirement is what will your particular gun shoot the most accurate with a load that is practical for long range[ in my opinion that's 110 + gr the little girl loads have no business trying to shoot 250 yds ] there are a few others that if that's what your gun likes like the Parker ballistic Extreme or the high BC copper bullets that would work if your particular gun don't like the SW's. Lee
Old 12-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Would you consider the Hornady SST the equivalent of the SW?

Thanks for the great information.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM
FG

For that 150+ yard shooting i pretty much use everything from my standard 295gr Powerbelt up to the 405gr Powerbelt. A .530 round ball is also a deadly killer out to 150 yards with my current powder charge.

200 yards for the average shooter "Yes, that includes me " Is pushing the limits of field shooting for a smokepole. Take that shooting bench away and see how good those groups are.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can shoot well enough and know your drops and wind compensation enough to shoot 200 yds....

I shoot the 200gr SW. By looks the Parker and Barnes TMZ already mentioned would be good options. Don't forget the Precision Rifle Dead Center bullets either, they are excellent long range bullets. Cabelas sells them too.

I used to shoot the DC's, THe Parker and TMZ are newer and since I tend to stick with what is working for me I have not tried them and stuck with the 200gr SW.

There are different philosophies on bullet weight at long range. Some say go heavy to retain energy. Others say go lighter and flatten the trajectory. In centerfires I go with the "heaviest bullet your twist will shoot" philosophy, but for my ML I have just had really good luck with 200gr bullets (SW and 195gr Dead Center). The drops with heavier bullets just get too extreme at longer ranges and they don't help your wind drift much. But honestly I don't think there is a right answer to that one, if I were forced to pick another bullet right now I'd probably go to a heavier TMZ.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

If you can shoot well enough and know your drops and wind compensation enough to shoot 200 yds....

I shoot the 200gr SW. By looks the Parker and Barnes TMZ already mentioned would be good options. Don't forget the Precision Rifle Dead Center bullets either, they are excellent long range bullets. Cabelas sells them too.

I used to shoot the DC's, THe Parker and TMZ are newer and since I tend to stick with what is working for me I have not tried them and stuck with the 200gr SW.

There are different philosophies on bullet weight at long range. Some say go heavy to retain energy. Others say go lighter and flatten the trajectory. In centerfires I go with the "heaviest bullet your twist will shoot" philosophy, but for my ML I have just had really good luck with 200gr bullets (SW and 195gr Dead Center). The drops with heavier bullets just get too extreme at longer ranges and they don't help your wind drift much. But honestly I don't think there is a right answer to that one, if I were forced to pick another bullet right now I'd probably go to a heavier TMZ.
If you push a Dead center above 2000 fps they are not as accurate, I have read complaints of this. TMZ is great bullet if they work in your gun (Knight sells them as a red hot).
Chap
Old 12-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: FG

200 yards for the average shooter "Yes, that includes me " Is pushing the limits of field shooting for a smokepole. Take that shooting bench away and see how good those groups are.
Exactly right, 200 should be max. And any shot over that should be practiced a lot and know the ballistics of your load. Chap
Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

If you push a Dead center above 2000 fps they are not as accurate, I have read complaints of this. TMZ is great bullet if they work in your gun (Knight sells them as a red hot).
Chap
One of those complaints was from me!

I have a lot of experience with that. Once there were jacketed offerings with similar BC that I could drive faster, I switched. If you don't need the extra 100-200fps though they ARE a good bullet.