Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva dangerous?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: cva dangerous?

I have the Wolf, and it is a great gun. Just sghot my first ML deer this year with it. I am shooting a 295 grain hollow point Powerbelt,with 80 grains of 777 loose powder, and winchester 209 primers. And it shoots very well. My Wolf also likes the 295 grain Aerotip Powerbelts, with the same load.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader may be right but all I know is all the news adds I see (Accura, Optima) have the Bergara barrels. Either way the barrels have come a long way from years past and if you maintain them properly they will last a lifetime.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
FG

No, Not all of them have been switched over to the Bergara barrel.

Just the Accura,Electra and Optima Elite currently have them. I think that these new models will be replacing the older break actions sooner or later.

I can picture an SS Accura Elite!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for the replies guys. i gotta get to sleep, hunting in the morning.ill take opinions on other mloaders that are not expensive and good for beginners also.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is all thisstuff about CVA guns blowing up. If the newer CVA guns were blowing up all over the place it would be on the internet; and it ain't there. Despite Randy Wakeman's claims, there are no photos or vivid stories of CVA guns blowing up except for those undocumented claims by Wakeman himself.

Wakeman has been banned from nearly every muzzleloader forum in the US. He used to do some posting under other names. Show me where the unobstructed barrel ofa modern CVA gun has blown up using a recommended charge of black powder or a BP substitute.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about it- like some others have said, there WAS a limited amount of CVA's that had problems years ago, but some people have blown it way out of proportion.

CVA does limit their recommended powder charges- more so than some other manufacturers- 150 grains pellets, but only 100 grains loose powder. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but hey, it's their company.

I have a CVA that I really like- it's a great shooter and a great value. I think you'll find that most CVA's are very accurate & dependable workhorse rifles. The only downsides that I've seen are the already-mentioned powder limitations (if you are a powder junky) and especially on their lower end models, the fit and finish isn't wonderful. In other words, you pick up the rifle and right away you realize that it is not an expensive or finely crafted firearm. Now if you're just a hunter or shooter who wants good performance for your buck, CVA is the way to go- the Wolf or the Buckhorn are both inexpensive models that tend to shoot well.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this guy Wakeman is a bit of a clown. He's the typical know-it-all kind of guy and there are plenty of those in the hunting/shooting world. In this age of product liablility suits I can't see any company knowingly putting out a firearm that could be flawed and dangerous in design. He probably can't handle the fact that CVA's can shoot about as well as the expensive guns he might own so he has to go out of his way to badmouth them. Sure they are not works of art, but why should that matter? They have proven themselves to be a reliable firearm that will put deer down. For most hunters that's all that matters.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM

I just bought an CVA Kodiak Pro an put an Bushnell Banner scope and had it bore sighted and it works great all for under 250. at Gander Mountain
Old 12-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Spike

Bout five or six years ago, my oldest son wanted to hunt BP with me and being on a budget that year, I bought him CVA's lowest entry level .50 that Cabelas carried. Other that having a cheap plastic front sight that broke off one day (replaced with some better fiber optics), it has been a great shooter/hunter.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I'm new here and i don't want to start out on the wrong foot, but i do know of one CVA opitma that the barrel blew up on. A Friend of mine's brother had one toexplode on him a couple of weeks ago.He said that he was not shootingbut 90grn of powder and that it was not short loaded.It blew under the scope,tearing it up also it busted one of his ear drums adamaged his hearing in the other ear plus cracked the winshield on his truck as he was shooting it on the hood. He has it posted on the Miss. Dept of Wildlife Fisheries and Parks website

Johnny

Quick Reply: cva dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.