Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva dangerous?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cva dangerous?

Thanks for sharing that info. I wonder if somehow those mounts were improperly installed originally? I'm suspicious of the failure generating at the screw holes due to long term corrosion. Pyrodex is some wicked stuff. Perhaps a tiny flaw (maybe induced by the scope mounting??) provided a nice hiding spot for some the residue to hide even though you routinely cleaned the rifle.

Just shooting in the dark here for a reason this happened. You definitely deserve some answers.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

to me it looks like it bulged from possibly a short started bullet. I know with my optima i had a bit of crud to push through before it seated on the powder. And the factory ramrod isnt quite the best one to use.

but who knows. Im sure we will hear the actual results from randy wakeman on what the lawyers think went wrong.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

Im no scientist or gunsmith, but holes in a barrel for scope mounts dont make the barrel any less thinner at that part of the barrel. It would seem that the powder charge would be in that same location as the scope holes. Hence, a improperly loaded charge would be a likely cause of the barrel bursting. In my opinion there is no way for sure to determine the exact cause of what happened, unless when you loaded the gun it was done by a team of experts on hand, then mabey we'd at least have a clue to waht happened. Im sorry for your mishap and Im glad your O.K. that's what really matters. But the true facts may never be known. I hope you find a cause to what really happened, and if in fact CVA was to blame then they should be accountable for it, but in this sport Safety and Good Gunmenship come first,and when we decide to join in this sport we better know the concequences to what may happen if we fail to do what is expected of us when we pick up a firearm. Dont be fast to blame the Manufacture when a mishap of our own doing occures. This is My Opinion and May God Bless you and your Famiy!
My guess also MD, a short started load
Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess being the KEY word.

Steve - no opinion.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well what would be your guess on this one???? as I stated it was my opinion and also my guess, were all trying to get to the bottom of this so we can finally end it.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:40 PM

Any new info on this?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I e-mailed Tommydevils the other day to see if he had any new news and I have'nt heard from him.........Tommy you out there? We want more news. BP