Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Wanna` Feel Humble? >

Wanna` Feel Humble?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wanna` Feel Humble?

Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Wanna` Feel Humble?

We've got a new guy in our nine-man hunting club this year. I was happy to have him join because he mentioned that he's a recreational ML shooter and I figured that I'llhave another guyto shoot with now and then. All but one of the other guys are more of the "sight in and hunt" type.

Well, I learned a little more this week end. Turns out he does a "little" competition shooting with his .58 musket and minnie balls over 60 grains FFFg GOEX. We hit the rifle range togetherSunday afternoon. I was shooting my Zouave from the bench. He was shooting hisEnfield Rifle Musket offhand, and just about matched my groups. Humble pie anyone?

Old 11-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wanna` Feel Humble?

Know the feeling semi. Was at the range last wk w/a pal. He shot 5 times the day before. He had his TC New Englander ,put a scope on last winter. 2 or 3 sighting shots. new target , one ragged hole 1-2in in diameter a/50 meters. Made me look sick!!!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Off hand, I have to admit I lack in the shooting department. If I can lean into a tree or off sticks, I am alright but off hand I have to shoot quick to be good.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Naw, not humble pie, just adifferent attitude and maybe you guys can push each other to greater heights in ML shooting sports. I have a guy we just get at each other and push and jabber at each other about hunting all the time. But we have learned form each other and gotten way better than we were 5 years ago.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Daughter shoots better than I do
I will seek out some instruction this off season.
I have developed bad habbits and they need to go away.
I have state of the art equipment and now need to learn.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi - either that guy is a really good shot or you suck.... maybe a bit of both...hehehehe. Actually I've noticed myself that my accuracy offhand has gone down. I don't shoot near as much as I used to (competitively). And too my muscles were a lot stronger then. Back when I was shooting on average 4 times a week I got to where I could hold a rifle almost dead solid with just the crosshairs making tiny circles around the X ring.All that practicehelped me shoot a nice buck offhand up our camp at about 125 yds when all I could see was the head and neck.
Shooting off the bench is great for sighting in. But you also need to practice from field shooting positions. And I am becoming more and more guilty of not practicing enough.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:50 AM

As they say-some people are natural born shooters.....My off hand shooting suck now days...used to be pretty good but not now...Too much time on the bench I guess..Now too much snow in the corn to do anything,looks like another long winter harvest....damn And my health is failing more everyday as well.....sucks to be me........
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
mountaineer magic

I think we all underestimate our muzzleloaders. I always looked at taking short shots because I was always told that muzzleloaders were good at a 100 yards or less. This year i practiced quite a bit during the summer. I think I must have shot at least 500 or more shots through my traditional and inline combined. I ended up taking a doe at 118 yards with my conventional and I took the one below at 234 yards with my Triumph using a 4 wheeler as a rest. I think our muzzleloaders can shoot much farther than we can, but I bet we all could probably shoot a whole lot better if we spent enough time and money practicing.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

That a pretty decent mulie chet - congrats.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 AM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

That a pretty decent mulie chet - congrats.
Thanks ! It will help fill the freezer . Now I have 2 1/2 months to fill my antlerless and muzzleloader tags. So no hurry i guess.

Quick Reply: Wanna` Feel Humble?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.