Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question on Genesis >

Question on Genesis

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question on Genesis

Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Question on Genesis

Ok guys, those that have the Genesis. I noticed on mine that in the muzzle, after the 'free bore'where the rifing starts it is a sharp edge. When I put in a saboted bullet, you have to do some wiggling to get the sabot in. Otherwise it will ever so slightly shave the sabot and I'm sure this affects accuracy.
I am wondering if there is a way to just lap that edge and give it a rounded or tapered contour?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on Genesis

I'm shooting FPBs which are full-bore copper jacketed conicals. They also seem to hang up a bit on the edge of the rifling. I had trouble starting the first few I shot, but I did not have the correct starter tip. Now I just drop the slug in and give it a good whack. I checked a couple slugs loaded this way by pushing all the way through the bore, and the bases were not torn or distorted, so I guess I don't have an issue. FPBs shoot awesome for me over 100 gr of Pyrodex. You may want to consider them.

Sabots may be another story. Cayugad has experience with sabots in this gun, as do some others. I have never heard concerns expressed over cutting or shaving sabots when loading, but maybe they will have some advise.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I also noticed this when loading sabots. But next time you try, take your sabot, place it in there and then with your THUMB give it a sharp push. It seems to pop the edge of the sabot over that spot and they holds the sabot nice and straight for the drive down. I am sure over time this is going to wear smooth. Whether you could lap that area I do not know.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well thanks guys. I'm glad its not just mine. At the range, I sort of wiggle the sabot a bit until I can feel it pop in - so I don't damage the base and ruin the seal. But hunting and needing a second shot, I don't think I would be that picky. Seems to me that a beveled edge there would have been more logical.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does seemthat way, but it would be more costly to manufacture. I would like the overbored area to be smaller in diameter. I'm sure it's fine with sabots, but it's almost too wide with FPBs.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I think that you've identified a real sore spot with just about every QLA type of muzzle design. When barrels are rifled all of the way to the muzzle, the crown usually is slightly beveled or tapered.
The problem is thataltering it in an uneven fashion will adversely affect the point of impact.
One option is to get rid of the false muzzle and crown it properly.
The other would be to risk fixing it where it's located.
I doubt that a coning tool would work satisfactorily to produce such a small taper on the edge of the rifling.
On the other hand,aproperly sized round ball or round fixture loaded with a fine abrasive lapping compound and rotated by hand might produce the desired results if workedpatientlyover a period of time.
What's the worst that could happen? You'd need to cut off the false muzzle and recrown it. But by fixing it you would have an improvedrifle that was bettersuited to your personaltaste.
It's like the old saying, "Don't let fear interfere with obtainingyour dreams."
If you want it fixed then eitherdo it when you're good andready or just live with it as it is.
The choice is yours.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Mine is kind of hard to get started with the short starter but after 3 or 4 good wacks with the short starter it pushes down ok but it is a little tight. Mike
Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

arcticap

I guess I am not really familiar with the QLA on the Genesis, but on my Omega, actually 2 of them - I set the sabot bullet combination in the the QLA then push them with my thumb to start them - by then they are in the QLA so far I need the ram-rod to complete the push - really does not take much. I honestly do not know if the riflings in the QLA are crowned or not - I guessI thought they were.

I remember I had a gun smith install a QLA on one of myGM hawken barrels... I amnot sure if he crown the rifling there either - but it was not hard to load at all.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would seem possiblethatthe tool used to cut the QLA section could have a beveled end. No additional cost to produce, just a different shaped cutter.

I am considering cutting the QLA section off, as it may ease the loading issue, and also make the factory ramrod more usable for me.