Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c peep sight

Old 11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default t/c peep sight

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-TCA7197

Anyone use this peep sight? Would I be better off to spend the extra money and get the lyman?

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: t/c peep sight

I used that peep sight for a couple years on a Renegade. It is an excellent peep sight. I took it off a while back for a couple reasons. First is I would not remove the center in low light and found it hard to site on deer with it. Now granted the center does come off and it makes a ghost ring that opens the sight picture up considerably. I just would not do it. My luck, I'd of lost that center piece between my stand and home. That is just the way things go for me.

On the range in the day time, it is hard to find a better sight unless you go optics. The sight is easy to use, and very accurate. I still have it here around the house.The longest shot I ever made with a muzzleloader (80 yards) was with that peep sight. I hit exactly where I was aiming. I guess I should throw it on something.

If the rifle you are going to put it on is a Renegade or Hawkins then it is a very good selection. I went to 1x scopes instead. If it is a Lyman rifle, they are pre tapped in many cases for the Lyman Peep sight.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Cory i have the Lyman Peep it is an excellent sight with very precise L&R and U&D adjustments you can also remove the center hole for low light conditions. I got one with my percussion 54 Deerstalker it shoots one hole groups with 444 power belts and 80 gr of Shockley gold. That is at 50 yds.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The lyman is the way to go. if I want to take a 75 yard shot I set the sight to 75 yards. If I want to take a 175 yard shot I set it for 175. In my opinion they are the most accuratesight a guy can have on a gun next to a scope. I have three and all three rifles are sighted in in 50 yard incrementsout to 300 yards. Ron
Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've had one (Lyman, not TC)on my GP flintlock for the last four months or so. I love it. I'ts about the only iron sight I can use with confidenceout to 75 and 100 yards. I think the Lyman's adjustments are more user friendly than TCs, but the results should be the same.

Here's my best (nottypical)100 yard 5-shottarget using that sight (wish I hadn't blown that 5th. shot [:@]). Pretty dang good for bi-focal eyes. My more typical 100 yard group is more like 5 inches, but I can pretty regularly keep all five shots on that 3" bullat 75 yards with the Lyman peep.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the responses.

Ineed something a little more exact than t/c's iron sights and can't bring myself to mount a scope on a sidelock. This sight is going on a renegade, maybe two renegades if I like it.

My renegade has one more hole in the tang than my renegade hunter, will this sight mount on both without any alterations?

You guys that have used the peep sights, what are you using for a front sight? As a kid I shot in a bb gun league and we used tang mounted peeps with a globe front sight with different inserts. I really liked this system and was thinking along those lines.

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Never mind about the alteration question. Midway's website says current rifles require drilling and tapping of one hole. Looks like the .50 flinter is getting one before the .54 percussion.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The aperture supplied is too small for hunting. I drilled mine out to the maximum diameter bit sizeI could fit in the aperture body. If you get the sight, you'll see what I mean. I ended up around .125" or so. An easy fix. You can simply remove the aperture as others said, but thenI think you could accidentally look over the aperture post and shoot way too high.

I'm trying to think how mine is mounted. I think I used the front tang hole, and drilled and tapped the tang for the rear sight mounting hole.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a lyman #2 that was on a rifle I got used. It never did have ther screw in aptuure. I got use to hunting with it that way and pratice to for that matter.
When I wanted a Peep sight for my TC hawkins I was given the Same one you linked to.
Fit my hawkins with out any drilling at all. I do use the apture when target shooting some times but not nomally since I got use to that ghost ring with the lyman.
I also just have the stock front postnbead front sight on the hawkins and the Winchester.

Al
Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have three TC Renegades. This first one is a Hunter with a 32" long 1-18 twist Green Mountain barrel and it is glass bedded. It has a Lyman 57 SML peep and a Lee Shavers globe front sight with a removablelevel. For long range target shooting the level is the way to go. This set up for hunting is great for open country where a 200 yard shot might be needed.
this gun shoots a paper patched 45-70 bullet.

This rifle is a Renegade with double triggers. It has a GMStainless Steel 1-28 twist 50 cal. Peep is the same and the front sight is a Lyman 17 SML with a Lee shavers long range insert. This rifle shoots a paper patched 500 S&W bullet.

This last one is the same as the one before but it only has one trigger. This rifle shoots a Hornady Great plains bullet.

I haven't had any problems with seeing through them in good shoooting light. I am sure that if your shots were close to end of hours in dark timberor heavy brush the sights might not be easy to see.
All three of these rifles will shoot sub 2" groups at 100 yards. I have shot sub 1" groups with all three rifles.
They are all sighted in with my Range finder. When I want to make the shot I range the target, set the sight, and hold dead on. I like that because I don't have to hold over or under on shots. The Lee shavers globe and inserts are a MUST for me on shots at200 to 300 yards. The Lyman inserts are too big to get that kind of accuracy. Ron

Quick Reply: t/c peep sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.