Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Speer gold receipes for Encores >

Speer gold receipes for Encores

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speer gold receipes for Encores

Old 11-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Speer gold receipes for Encores

Does anybody have a favorite receipe for for Speer Gold Dots shot with T-7 powder...using an Encore (PH)? I'm just looking forsome inexpensive options for bench time. Thanks in advance.

Hammer
Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Speer gold receipes for Encores

For inexpensive bench time, I'd go with Pyrodex (unless you've got a lot of T7 sitting around, or got some at a real good price). In my Mustang, 70 grains of T7 and 300 GDs in crush rib sabots gave me velocities between 1550 and1600 fps. It was a very comfortable shooting load, but not as accurate in my gun as heavier loads.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

See the post entitled "Speer Gold Dots" with the pics of my recovered bullet from a deer and Sabotloaders recovered bullets from dirt.

I shoot the 300gr gold dot which is made for the 454 Causul pistol. I worked the load up starting with 100 gr of 777 pellets to 120 gr of loose 777 and stopped right there. Accuracy is excellent. I have no idea about velocities but I do know that the recoil is noticably different compared to 100gr of pellets and a 250 gr Shockwave !

I hunt in a cutover bottom that is super thick. I want to hit deer hard with enough bullet to get a passthrough and bloodtrail. Without a bloodtrail I won't find deer many that run off into this jungle. The Gold Dot hasn't failed me yet
Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hammer49

I shoot both the 300 grain and the 250 grain Gold Dot from all of my inlines. I consider the 300 grain a more versitile bullet over the long run but, I would use the 250 to hunt whitetail with in the the terrain that I hunt.

From all the inlines that I shoot both bullets work very well with 110 grains of T7-2f. The exception is the Knight Disc Extreme - I shoot the bullets with 120 grains and in that rifle basically use the 300 grain Gold Dot...

Not to change the subject but Cayugad found a new Speer bullet the other day, well it is not new - but new to me, he purchased some Spreer .458/300 HP's (listed under "Special Purpose Rifle Bullets") These are/were especially designed for the 45/70 Marlin rifle. But the biggie is that they are UNI CORE constructed, but do not have the Gold Dot- You shoot them in an Orange MMP sabot.

They really appear to have great promise, but are a little more expensive than I thought... $30 for 50 - but they could replace the more expensive Barnes/Noslers at $60 per 50
Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

They really appear to have great promise, but are a little more expensive than I thought... $30 for 50 - but they could replace the more expensive Barnes/Noslers at $60 per 50
WOW!! good thing I messed up and bought two boxes of them for I think $21.00 a box.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Hammer49

I shoot both the 300 grain and the 250 grain Gold Dot from all of my inlines. I consider the 300 grain a more versitile bullet over the long run but, I would use the 250 to hunt whitetail with in the the terrain that I hunt.

From all the inlines that I shoot both bullets work very well with 110 grains of T7-2f. The exception is the Knight Disc Extreme - I shoot the bullets with 120 grains and in that rifle basically use the 300 grain Gold Dot...

Not to change the subject but Cayugad found a new Speer bullet the other day, well it is not new - but new to me, he purchased some Spreer .458/300 HP's (listed under "Special Purpose Rifle Bullets") These are/were especially designed for the 45/70 Marlin rifle. But the biggie is that they are UNI CORE constructed, but do not have the Gold Dot- You shoot them in an Orange MMP sabot.

I have shot the 45/70 Unicore bullets and they were accurate in my FlintLock. Chap
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap

Good to know - I just ordered a couple of boxes for testing, although had I know the price I might have only ordered one... still have plenty of Noslers left.