Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Speer Gold Dots... >

Speer Gold Dots...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speer Gold Dots...

Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Speer Gold Dots...

I have purchased a box of .452 300grain HP Gold Dots. These bullets are designed for a .454 Casual and a box of .452 250grain Gold Dots designed for the longColt 45. Why? if you read the literature they sound like they might be a great alternative to Nosler/Barnes....

Premium quality. Premium performance. Premium technology

Both core and jacket are notched for uniform expansion
Cavity tuned to the job
Pure copper jacket bonded to core
Jacket thickness very uniform
Alloyed core for barrier penetration without sacrificing expansion
[ul][/ul]
Square heel for accuracy
I am still stuck on the Nosler Partion concept for thick skinned Elk, but I am really thinking these Speers might wotk well on thin skinned Whitetail. If the propaganda is correct they should not do the "Blow-up" thing that can happen to other pistol bullets and they should not separate from the copper. Hornady has tried to alleviate this with their XTP Mags.

COST is always a factor for me becuase I think I shoot quite a bit and I am always looking for a bullet with performance andaccuracy over a wide range of conditions. Shooting Noslers or any other premium bullet a targets is too expensive.

Has anyone got any experiance with these Gold Dots? What are your thoughts?
Old 11-14-2005, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Speer Gold Dots...

There is a discussion from back on Nov. 6th under the heading of "Interesting Alternative" on this subject.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Roskoe, found it...

Doesn't look like may people have tried them yet...
Old 11-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Apparently not - they are fairly new. The one I saw that came out of that bull elk sure looked good, though. And I can't imagine there would be much differrence in terminal performance between a .454 Casull at 1800 fps or a T/C Omega at 1900 fps.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=613004

these are what I have been shooting. Barnes 250 grain XPB all copper hollow point. They are also made for the .454 but since they are .452 diameter and cheaper then the Expanders I figured why not... So far they are doing a real good job but I have not had a chance to get any real distance with them other then 100 yards. They did well out to that point. I've been pushing them 110 grains of Goex 2f.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Here is my whole story, two weeks at the end of Elk season, I still had a 300 grain .458 Nosler loaded up in my inline. I shot a really nice 4 point whitetail (western count) at probably 10 yards - broadside. I shot behind the front shoulder. Well, the deer was dead, but it did not know it ran a 100 yard circle around me before it fell. Inspection of the deer showed a perfect round 45 caliber between the ribs on the left and a nick of a rib on the right side. I thought about a CSI episode where you could put one of those straight rods right through the animal. Both lungs lungs were punctured. At that distance and velocity and through the thin skin of a whitetail - not impacting a a major bone it really did not have time time to expand... I normally do not shoot the 458's or even a 300 grain bullet at whitetails. I normally shoot 250 HP's either Nosler or Hornady. I hesitate even shooting a Hornady becuase of the possibilty of stripping the lead from the copper or the bullet completly blowing up.. (I know a round ball or a big concical would solve the problem) but I also need the abiltiy to shoot 150 yards also and I want velocity.

All that said if the Gold Dot with a BC of .233 is bonded and has the abilty to stay together (alloy core barrier) it certainly is cheaper than Noslers or Barnes. (50 bullets $11.49). I am hoping to get out maybe this weekend with the chrono and do some accuracy checks at the same time. I also want to shoot some into to a soft sand bank and see if I strip the copper as I do with the Hornadys, of course the Noslers do not have this problem.

The bullet sounds really interesting - but until you shoot it and shoot an animal with it you never really know.

mike