Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Still Learning To Shoot The GP Flintlock >

Still Learning To Shoot The GP Flintlock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Still Learning To Shoot The GP Flintlock

Old 11-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Still Learning To Shoot The GP Flintlock

Well guys, I've had fourteenrange sessions with the .54 GP flintlock and have something around 400 shots out of it.
Some days I shoot it pretty well, some days not so well. But I always seem to learn something.

Shot it today a 75 yards with its favorite load and discovered something interesting.

The four targets below were shot from the bench. For the first two, I pulled the stock back very firmly into my shoulder
and used a firm cheek weld to the stock. For the second two, Iheld the stock against my shoulderwith a very light pull and
used a "feather light" cheek weld.

Interesting, eh?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Still Learning To Shoot The GP Flintlock

They claim that a death grip is not the way to hold a rifle, but this is pretty interesting.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your point. But the problem is that you can not use a loose grip in hunting situations. I normally shoot from a supported position when I hunt. So when I really want to know where my FL is hittlng I hold the forearm with my right hand-which is supported by a sand bag. After all what happens in a hunting situattion is really what we are interested in??Or at least that is my main interest. Tom.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:10 AM
Fork Horn

Very interesting!! Going to the range Wed. w/ my daughter. Time for an experiment!!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

So when I really want to know where my FL is hitting I hold the forearm with my right hand-which is supported by a sand bag. After all what happens in a hunting situation is really what we are interested in??
I agree with you there, HEAD. I use the Caldwell shooting rest under the forearmand rabbit ear bag under the buttstock when testing loads and shooting for groups, but for that final sight-in with my hunting load, I hold the forearm with my left hand (the proper one ) with my hand resting on the shooting rest or a sandbag.