Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Learning to shoot and hunt with glasses. >

Learning to shoot and hunt with glasses.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Learning to shoot and hunt with glasses.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Learning to shoot and hunt with glasses.

I have been having some accuracy issues lately. Normally a 30 yd group for me has a danger of busted nocks and vanes being shot off. Lately a group that is 6" in much more likely. My vision has been deteriorating for the past few years. I'm getting old [:@]. Last evening I was changing my pins around from where they were set for turkey hunting back to where they need to be for deer and hogs. Anyway, I had my reading glasses on. I need them to do most anything these days. After making an adjustment on the Spott-Hogg I forgot to take the glasses off to shoot. I was pretty surprised by the clarity of my sight picture. My pins were crystal clear and the bag target was just a bit out of focus. My groups tightened right up. I knocked a vane off with my 3rd shot.
I had forgotten to take the glasses off once before a couple of years ago and couldn't see to shoot at all. I thought there was no way I could ever use them to shoot better. I guess with the passing of time my vision got bad enough for the glasses to really matter. I will continue to shoot with the glasses on now. Or at least until I get to the eye doctor. I have considered Lasik surgery. Have any of you tried that? Maybe contacts are the answer for me? I'll ask the Dr.
How will wearing glasses effect my hunting? I don't want to worry about glasses fogging up when I finally have a shot at a mature buck. what do you glasses wearers do about that kind of thing?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:19 AM

Default RE: Learning to shoot and hunt with glasses.

I need prescription lenses. I used to be a glasses wearer, and shooting with them is no big deal. They don't get in the way or anything like that. BUT....they fog up. Yeah, they make anti fog stuff....whatever. It doesn't work. I know it's not as cold there in Texas in the winter, but by the time I walked to my stand my glasses fogged up so badly I couldn't see anything. Put on a headnet and forget it. Instant fogover.

I switched to contacts several years ago and haven't looked back. Doesn't fog up, clear vision......It's a beautiful thing indeed.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Same here. I had LASIK about 7 years ago, but it did not last long before I was back to glasses. I now wear contacts to hunt and don't worry about it. The only problem with contacts is if you need bi-focals...like me. They have bi-focal contacts too, but I don't like them much so if I use my regular contacts I can focus well to see and shoot, but looking at something close up...like my watch...is a different story.

ORIGINAL: mobow

I need prescription lenses. I used to be a glasses wearer, and shooting with them is no big deal. They don't get in the way or anything like that. BUT....they fog up. Yeah, they make anti fog stuff....whatever. It doesn't work. I know it's not as cold there in Texas in the winter, but by the time I walked to my stand my glasses fogged up so badly I couldn't see anything. Put on a headnet and forget it. Instant fogover.

I switched to contacts several years ago and haven't looked back. Doesn't fog up, clear vision......It's a beautiful thing indeed.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

I had Lasik done 2 years ago. I was literally crippled without my glasses before. Some of the best money I have spent.

It has not effected my shooting other than the fogging issue with my glasses.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only problem that I have with fogging glasses is when I first get up in my stand but once I cool down my glasses clear and the're not a problem for the rest of the hunt.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Be careful with the Lasik surgery. I know several people that had problems with it, or ended up wearing glasses anyway. Outpatient surgery shooting a laser beam into my eye? No warm fuzzies there. I've never had an issue with glasses shooting. I wear a bifocal now, so I have a set of glasses without the bifocal that I hunt with.Bifocals suck setting 20 feet up in a tree.The ground below is somewhat blurry, while everything in the distance is clear. Drove me nuts. One thing about glasses. If you play the wind, and end up with the sun in your face, be EXTRA careful. I swear a deer or two has made me because of the sun reflecting somewhere off my glasses.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM

I tried shooting with my glasses on yesterday but the BCG's I got just get in the way.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 PM
bigcountry

I have stuggled with this for years. I have tried every contact known, and can't do it. I recently had wiley X make a pair of wrap around prescription classes. And its helped alot.

Still hate the fogging up thing on a cold wet day.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been shooting with glasses for the last 29 years with no problems at all, there are some wipes I get which stop the fogging.

You just getting old and decrepidmate it happens to the best of us sooner or later[8D]
Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Been shooting with glasses for the last 29 years with no problems at all, there are some wipes I get which stop the fogging.

You just getting old and decrepidmate it happens to the best of us sooner or later[8D]
Russ, do you ever hunt in damp cold snowy enviroments? I like to wear a face mask but get tired of the glasses fogging up.

What are those wipes you are referring too? I wouldn't mind to check em out.

Quick Reply: Learning to shoot and hunt with glasses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.