Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Im a retard

Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Im a retard

Im such a retard....

Last yr I bought the new TC Triumph. Scoped it, sighted it in, hunted w/ it, shot a doe, came home and put it in the closet till tonite.

(notice what ive left out....) thats right, I never cleaned it! [:@]

I did my best tonite, but the barrel still has apparent rust in it as well as what seems to be pots/pits/whatever.

Am I hopeless? Should I chuck this barrell and call TC and order another?

Call me what you will, I deserve it. But Id also like your suggestions as to what to do next...
Old 11-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Im a retard

First thing I would do ...

Clean the devil out of that rifle. Use some JB Bore Paste and scrub that barrel. Then some solvent, brushes, etc.. and patch that bore as good as you can. Then go and shoot it. I have seen rifles in very bad condition that will still shoot. Years back a person gave me a rifle that was in their opinion, "junk." I scrubbed that bore and finally got it to where it will shoot real good.

So clean it up and then try it on the range. If that does not work, then lapp the barrel. You can fire lapp it or patch lapp it. And then shoot it again. If that does not do it, then you need to contact T/C and buy another barrel I guess, or get another rifle and keep that one for parts. And next time, don't put them in a closet after season unless you clean them real good.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

Im such a retard....

Last yr I bought the new TC Triumph. Scoped it, sighted it in, hunted w/ it, shot a doe, came home and put it in the closet till tonite.

(notice what ive left out....) thats right, I never cleaned it! [:@]

I did my best tonite, but the barrel still has apparent rust in it as well as what seems to be pots/pits/whatever.

Am I hopeless? Should I chuck this barrell and call TC and order another?

Call me what you will, I deserve it. But Id also like your suggestions as to what to do next...
My son did that to his Kight Disc when he was about 17 or so, I cleaned it with brake cleaner, and scrubbed the bore with paste, you can see pits in it still but guess what, it still shoots well and my younger brother shot two deer with it last year at about 100 yards. It is NOT a tack driver as it was, but it still holds a group and still shoots hunting well, so do what cayugad says and then shoot it. Then swithch over to Blackhorn powder in it and shoot about 90 or 100g. Chap
Old 11-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

As the previous posts suggests, all may not be lost. And as Cayugad said, I never put a dirty gun out of sight. I ususally put it in my gun vise to remind me it needs cleaning. This rule is not only for my MLs but for all of them.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would use a wire bore brush on it and really get it as clean as you can. Make sure you put a light coating of oil in the barrel before you put it away or the rust will come back fast. You may have to repeat the cleaning process several times. Before you shyoot it dry swab the oil out and fire a couple of primers as well.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

The best bet would be to send it in to TC.
Do be careful about some of these Partial lapping methods if you do decide to lap use a reloading press or a vice to squeeze 4 round balls one at a time then drive them into the bore one at a time so they exactly match the rifling then use JB bore paste or value grinding compound to lap it; considering it was left awhole year the Pitts are very deep most likely and if you try something like patch lapping you could end up with a smooth bore. If you don't have much experience gunsmith the best option it tell TC what happened over thetelephone, and send it to them, that way if its beyond a reasonable point you will still get it fixed if you mess with it your self and its not fixable it also canvoid your warrenty. Lee
Old 11-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Also, after you have cleaned the devil out of it.. be sure to put a good heavy coat of oil in the barrel and let it sit and soak in. When you really clean a barrel good, you have basically taken them back to bare metal and so you need to protect that metal.

I personally like to pour boiling water through the barrel to heat it up real good, then after making sure the barrel is dry with some patches, put a saturated oil patch in there and swab that bore. As the metal cools, it will draw in that oil into all the little pours and protect it from further rusting.