Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How to clean an Encore???? >

How to clean an Encore????

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How to clean an Encore????

Old 10-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default How to clean an Encore????

Hey guys I need a little help here. I am up-to-speed with cleaning the barrel and breech plug (encore) but have never "broken" the gun down. How should I go about doing this? After taking the barrel off, should I also remove the trigger mechanism? If so, how do I accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Hammer
Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How to clean an Encore????

After taking the barrel off, should I also remove the trigger mechanism?

No.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

A once a year cleaning(at least, and dependent upon which powder youuse as well as how much blowback gets into the frame)...

Remove the ramrod, remove the forearm, remove the hinge pin, separate the barrel from frame. Thoroughly clean the barrel and breech plug - inside and out to include the removable extractor and its channel. Clean the ramrod. Clean and lube the forearm screws and hinge pin. Wipe down the interior and exterior of the forearm - a lightly oiled rag should work well for that. Lube the sling studs.

Remove the pistol grip cap. Loosen the frame retainer bolt - remove frame from butt stock. Clean and lube retainer bolt as well as grip cap screws. Wipe down all surfaces of the butt stock that can be reached (use that lightly oil rag).

Remove the firing pin assembly being careful not to lose the pin or its spring. Thoroughly clean assembly and the frame cavity for same. Make sure pinis smooth as well as the holefrom which it protrudes - noroughness. Apply a light grease to assembly exterior. Set aside for re-assembly.

Here's where I'll raise some eyebrows. I take the frame to the sink and flush with (hottest available) water thoroughly while using a toothbrush to scrub out residue. The I take the frame to the compressor and blow out all undried water. I then give the frame a liberal shot of WD-40 and let is sit such that excess can drain out. Leave it sit for 30 minutes then turn it and let drain more. After you're reasonably sure all excess WD has drained, take it to the compressor and blow it out again. At this point, wipe out any remaining WD with a clean rag (as best possible). Give the frame a good blast with carb cleaner and again go through the draining process followed by the blow down. Wipe the surfaces down with a rag, this time a rag containing your chosen protectorant (RemOil, Breakfree CLP, Eezox, Sheath, etc). Add a few drops of same to critical parts of the frame then again wipe down excess.

Re-assemble rifle, leave plug out of barrel. Store rifle muzzle down for about three days. Again wipe down any excess lube and swab the bore, first dry then with protectorant.

That's how I completely clean an Encore or G2 (and with variations, all my rifles).It is work but it's worth it. My rifles remain spotless, rust free, and accurate.

I would recommend you clean the firing pin assembly after any serious range session or significant amount of shooting.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just send the gun to me and you wont have to worry about any cleaning duties.
I'm a people person,a helper,so giving.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hammer49

Hey guys I need a little help here. I am up-to-speed with cleaning the barrel and breech plug (encore) but have never "broken" the gun down. How should I go about doing this? After taking the barrel off, should I also remove the trigger mechanism? If so, how do I accomplish this? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Hammer

Do NOT take the "trigger mechanism" apart unless you know what you are doing. It doesn't come out as a single unit. If you push those pins out you will have several parts lying on your work bench and you will need guidance or experience to put it back together.

Underclocked has a good method. I do a similar cleaning but do not use water. Try that.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hammer49
Here is a great site for your Encore

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=1

And another

http://www.eabco.com/tcref.html
Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Unless you have a Pro Hunter or Endeavor...

The first thing you do, is to go to the gun store and buy the EZ tip extracter to replace the existing 209 cap holder!!!!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Beast! It is a Pro-Hunter.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Unless you had it out in a downpour, leave it alone.

If you want to disassemble it for sh_ts & giggles....
Remove the two screws under the forearm.
Remove forearm and ramrod.
Push hinge pin thru, remove barrel.
Tinker around some,reassemble barrel/forearm,andnever do it again!!!!

If you have a composite stock, do not remove it,unless you have to.
The compression bolt, if overtightened, can crack the molded bracket.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

beast, is your Encore a muzzleloader? Have you ever cleaned the firing pin assembly?

Quick Reply: How to clean an Encore????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.