Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 REMINGTON GENESIS ARRIVED >

REMINGTON GENESIS ARRIVED

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

REMINGTON GENESIS ARRIVED

Old 10-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default REMINGTON GENESIS ARRIVED

Well the UPS man showed up to my door with a big box. So I had to go and test drive this thing.. First I watched the video (waste of time IMO) And then I read the manual. After all, safety first..

My first impressions of the rifle are VERY POSITIVE. While the receiver is not stainless steel, the hardware to stock fit is excellent. The ramrod must have been designed by someone that does not hunt or target shoot, but then for loading once, maybe twice in the field, I think it is going to work out just fine.

The trigger on this rifle is VERY GOOD!! I checked it and it broke just under #4 pounds. (I use my digital fish scale, tied to the trigger). Also when I cleaned the rifle and finally got around to popping a few primers, I was shocked. I at first thought something was wrong as when I fired it with a dry patch on the end of the jag, I knew the primer went off, but there really was not the LOUD sound I expected. So I just fired a primer. The dog jumped and he's almost deaf, so it must have worked perfect.

Finally satisfied that I was ready to hit my range, I loaded up with some Black Horn 209, Winchester W209 primers, Triple Se7en 2f, 250 grain Shockwaves, and some 300 grain .44 caliber .430 diameter Hornady XTP's with some Green Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. I figured the fiber optic sights would be close, so I put the target at 50 yards. I also could see these sights very well today in the cloudy conditions. It was in the high 40's very over cast, and a slight wind at times.

I loaded 100 grains of BlackHorn 209 and a 250 grain Shockwave. I will report this rifle shoots the BlackHorn 209 powder off perfect. Not a hangfire all day.
This is the first three shots.

I looked at the sights and noticed they were set all the way to the bottom of the incline. Strange as normally they are at the half way point. But I was very pleased with the group. Of course I did not swab when shooting the Black Horn powder.

Group #1 is with the 250 grain Shockwaves and Black Horn 209 powder. Group #2 is with the same bullet but shooting 100 grains of Triple Se7en 2f powder. Swabbing between shots.

I then made a moderate sight adjustment and went back to the BlackHorn 209 powder. I was shooting the shockwaves still. Group #3 is a mix of both Blackhorn 209 and Triple Se7en powder shooting the Shockwaves. I then got to thinking, swabbing with my mix, was this effecting the BlackHorn?

I made another adjustment and for some reason the left to right adjustment screw came loose. I shot Group #4 and was kind of surprised until I checked the sight. I only fired two rounds with Triple Se7en (as the BlackHorn is all gone.. [&o]) and made a slight adjustmentright and then shot group #5. This was the end of my Shockwaves.

I then had to wipe off the "cam action" as it was getting sticky from something. Also I will tell you that when you set the primer in this rifle, it helps to hold your thumb on the primer while you close the cam. Or the cam seems to catch the edge of the primer and not want to close. This concerns me for when I scope this, how do I get my fat fingers in there under the scope. But we will address that problem when I get to it.

I then started shooting some 300 grain Hornady XTP's with the green Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. With 100 grains of Triple Se7en they shot to the same place as the 250 grain shockwaves. I then wanted to see how fussy this rifle was about swabbing.

I selected the upper right corner bull as my target and fired three rounds without swabbing. The lowest hit was the last of the three. I had got a very late start with the rifle. But I wanted to shoot it bad, so I called it a day and will try this again soon.

Cleanup of the rifle is very easy. The gun comes apart easy. The breech plug, while it takes forever to turn the thing out, came out well. I had used Slick 50 one grease on it. When I put it back, I taped it and greased it. I did not take the trigger out yet, but I did not think it needed cleaning. I will do that the next time I shoot. Probably tomorrow.

Overall I like the rifle, but I am not ready to say it is great. After all the first time I handled and shot it. Its hard to be real positive about any rifle that quickly. It is heavy but well balanced. The stock is easy to hold on to, and fits me very well. The stainless barrel is not a gloss of stainless, so it blends into the rifle real well. I might only put a 1x scope on this rifle as I have a T/C around here somewhere. Although I do have some other scopes I could throw on just to play with the accuracy of the rifle a little.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: REMINGTON GENESIS ARRIVED

Looking good, Dave. Just don't scratch that receiver.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM
FG

Looks like a fine shooting rifle. Was it worth the money?

Try some BC moly on the trigger guts and see if it will help out with the trigger. Look forward to more range reports with this one.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:41 PM
mountaineer magic

Looks like some good shooting for out of the box. I wish my wife had chosen a different gun instead of my Genesis. Makes me want another one. ,but alas I got a bp pistol on the way , so that's out now. But remember if you don't like it I get first dibs. The more you shoot it the more you will probably like it

Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, post that over on DWBs so we can have something to talk about besides the election!! Will I be glad when this one is over!!

As to priming, don't you have a dogbone or flex capper, or a straight 209 capper?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good Dave! Those shockwaves shot well. They're not a top of the line gun but worth every penny in my opinon. Mine loves BH as well.

As for holding the primer in, a friend of mine has a Yukon and he had that happen one day at the range. I inspected it to findthe BPwas about 1/2 turn loose. Snugged it up and that fixed the issue. That may not be what's going on w/yours but worth a look I suppose.

Edit: A "dogbone" capper is what I use and it works beautifully.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Was ut worth the money? Well since I did not need the thing I would have to say no. Since I wanted the thing, I would have to say yes..

Yes I was using a dog bone capper. And I did have the breech plug backed out a little. Maybe that is all it takes. Although the Winchester primers are so loose that after I fire, I open the cam and tilt the rifle upward and they fall out of the plug most the time. Or I can pick them out with a thumb nail.

I will snug the plug and see if that makes a difference. So far I am impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. Now I have to wait for the mounts, rings, and all the other stuff I ordered today.. Was an expensive day..
Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting with open sights Dave. Seems like a good deal on that rifle.
Art
Old 10-21-2008, 04:55 PM

I new you couldn't resist the deal
Old 10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good so far. Makes me want one even more. Looking forward to hearing more reports about it.

Vince

Quick Reply: REMINGTON GENESIS ARRIVED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.