Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts

Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Powerbelts

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

after ML hunting last year and being disappointed with the powerbelts i figured i'd try them 1 more year. i also went from a 245gr to a 295gr powerbelt in hopes i would get better penetration and projectile retention. last year both of the 245gr powerbelts (150 grains of pyrodex) i shot deer with fragmented and had little penetration. both shots were ranged at approximately 75 yards.

this year i went with 295gr powerbelts in hopes of better bullet performance. i shot a 10 point at 45 yards in the neck and the powerbelt once again fragmented into nothing and did not exit the neck. before i get the "use less powder" lectures, my groups with the 3 pellets are phenominal(sp?). i use the pellets for the convienance and am happy with the accuracy. my friend also uses the pyrodex pellets but he only shoots 100gr (2 pellets) with the 245gr powerbelt.

last sunday he shot an 8 point in the butt (by accident, he was aiming for the neck) that was walking straight away from him at 45 yards. not arguing the ethical shot placement, the powerbelt only had about 5 inches of penetration and once again fragmented into nothing. the bullet did not even hit bone and left VERY little blood trail. we did end up giving the buck a couple hours to bed down and hopefully die inwhich he did not.

after approximately 1 hour of tracking, we jumped him up in palmetto's and he ran about 50 yards, stopped and looked back at us. the 8 point was shot again, this time in the neck (standing in tall palmetto's and the only shot we had was a neck shot to try and finish the animal off). the powerbelt did not completely penetrate the bucks neck but did drop him in his tracks.

with these scenario's in mind, shooting powerbelts with magnum loads and standard loads with the same results. i have one more muzzle load hunt this year and no time to re sight my muzzle loader in with another load. after this year, my remaining powerbelts will be thrown in the trash and i will be shooting something different. the ONLY good thing about the powerbelts, is they seem to be extremely accurate (which is needed due to their poor bullet performance).
Been there, done that, same results. Accuracy and dead are two different subjects,my suggestion is to go to a Nosler Partition with Crushed Rib sabot, BarnesMZ, TMZ with supplied sabot or Barnes TSX 45843 with Crushed Rib sabot or a Speer Gold Dot with a CR sabot, the CR is easy loading. Try the new Hornady FPB, since there would be bore size.
Chap
Old 10-20-2008, 01:38 PM
FG

40 yards to 150 yards is exactly my hunting area. 245 or 295gr with 80gr pyrodex will be around 7" low @ 150 when sighted dead on at 100. Its simple, if you use a scope, cross hairs go right onto its back and down goes the deer.

I understand that 150grains shoots great, I had a Winchester that was the same exact way and i used to use 120-150gr pyrodex rs loose loads but the 2 deer i shot with those loads both exited and were 146 and 148 yards away, the proper range intended for magnum loads.

Pure lead just can not be pushed that fast when the target is so close, the hornady great plains bullet will do the same thing, the flatnose great plains will not do it *as much* The problem with the powerbelts and the GP bullet is they both share something.... Pure lead, To deep of hollow point.

I honestly would like to see the results with an 80gr Pyrodex Charge.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vadeerkiller

Tried powerbelts my first year BP hunting and found out as well that they fragment. Only shoot Barnes now.
Bingo, Barnes---good bullet, no fragmentation, 100% wight retetion, shoot thru with 250 or 300g, expansion down to 800 fps, since huge hollow point, great choice, great bullet for even oblique shots into lungs, will shoot thru bone. Boom Flop. Interesting you only shoot Barnes now, what is your logic for why Barnes only?Love yourname VaDeerKiller, I noteyou didn'tname yourself Va Deer trailer or worst yet deer wounder, the Barnes gets ya there no problem.
Chap
Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TNHagies
I hope you find something that works better for you and you can redeem yourself.
The bullet can redeem itself, he can redeem himself by doing exactly what he has done "admit he has a problem" and getting to another bullet better for his type of shooting. Accuracy is king, but penetration is queen, and they both have to be present to have a happy marriage of terminal performance.
Chap
Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can understand your delema. Distances can be a pain when it comes to BP muzzy guns. If this is the case, I would stay with the three pellets and maybe an SST or Sockwave (same bullet). They are good for short and long distance shooting. And they seem to load easy, at least in my gun.

I understand abpout the public range. Sorry to hear your problem. Not much in the suggestion department there!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rafsob

I can understand your delema. Distances can be a pain when it comes to BP muzzy guns. If this is the case, I would stay with the three pellets and maybe an SST or Sockwave (same bullet). They are good for short and long distance shooting. And they seem to load easy, at least in my gun.

I understand abpout the public range. Sorry to hear your problem. Not much in the suggestion department there!
another friend also suggested the Shockwave to me. he said it shoots flatter in his muzzy and holds together MUCH better.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: rafsob

another friend also suggested the Shockwave to me. he said it shoots flatter in his muzzy and holds together MUCH better.
The SW would be a better bullet than the PB when your shooting 150g of powder no doubt. No need for that high a charge really, but if their are accurate for you at that charge, then that is good.
Chap
Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I shoot the Shockwave I use 95 grs of Pyrodex RS and this is how I manage to create great groups.

But If you want to go out to 150 yds, go with the three pellets. It should work for you. that bullet should give great penetration and expansion.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've never shot PowerBelts. I've never shot Shockwaves (other that at paper). I have shot Gold Dots.

I've seen lots of reports of PBs blowing up and not penetrating, and SWs penciling through and not expanding.

In my (admattedly limited) experience, a 300 grain Gold Dot wil always expand, always penetrate, and always hold toghther. They are my hunting bullet of choice.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

100gr pellets is to much! How many times have i said that?
Pretty sure 100 gr pellets is equivalent to aprox 80gr loose.

Too many other choices that do not have such limitations.
And far less expensive conicals (if you want to shoot them) that can be sized to fit your barrel.

Steve

Quick Reply: Powerbelts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.