Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet question

Old 10-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bullet question

Are the T/C Shockwaves (say 250 gr...45 cal w/ a 50 cal sabot) the same bullets as the Hornady SST's? It seems like everything about them is the same other than the plastic tip color and price. If they are the same, I will buy the cheaper...thinking of trying these with the Crushed Rib or MMP HPH sabots.

Thoughts???
Old 10-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bullet question

Yes they are the same bullet. All that is different is the sabot. Today I was shooting some 300 grain Hornady SST's. They loaded tight in my Knight rifle, but almost impossible in my Thompson Center. When I switched sabots to a black Harvester Crushed Rib sabot, they loaded fine in my Thompson Center Rifle then and shot fine.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hammer49

Are the T/C Shockwaves (say 250 gr...45 cal w/ a 50 cal sabot) the same bullets as the Hornady SST's? It seems like everything about them is the same other than the plastic tip color and price. If they are the same, I will buy the cheaper...thinking of trying these with the Crushed Rib or MMP HPH sabots.

Thoughts???
Look at this picture:

and also look at the bullet diameters of this new Thor bullet for different types of guns:

http://www.thorbullets.com/Products.html

so you have to find a bullet/sabot combo that fits "golidlocks tight", which is "just right", not too tight and not too loose. Chap

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hammer49
A lot of us that have TC guns have had excellent results with the SW or SST [ I believe they are the same] and the Short Black Harvester sabot. Its worth a try. Lee
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Lee-

Is there any difference in the short black and the crushed rib by Harvester? In other words, which one should I get?

Hammer
Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Spike

Hammer49,
Before you go swapping out sabots, try the Hornady SST of choice with the supplied sabots 1st. If you get good accuracy and the sabot is not too loose nor too tight going down your barrel, then your done except for dialing in your sights. If the regular sabots are too tight, then try the SSTs packaged with the "LOW DRAG" sabots. The latter worked really well for me in my tight barreled CA Wolf.
Good luck and have fun.