Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bullet Question

Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Bullet Question

Lookin for information on the new Hornady Interbond bullets. Curious to know if they live up to Hornady's claims.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Bullet Question

I tried them in the .270 WSM and the .300 Win Mag - accuracy was kinda mediocre, so I never took them afield. I have read that their terminal performance is comparable to other bonded bullets.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

A friend asked me to load some 139 interbonds in his 280, he got a box of 100. The box is almost gone and we still havent found a load yet. Weve tried just about every powder on my shelf. I have asked him numerous times to try the 140 B/T's I shoot in my 7 rem mag but hes dead set on finding something for these interbonds. I personally would have switched by now but hey its his choice! ........funny part is, he got a box of Core Lokts with the gun and they shot like 1.1-1.2" maybe he should have just stuck with them to hunt with.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 PM

For what its worth, my experience with the Nosler Accubonds and the Swift Sciroccos has been the opposite - very good accuracy and stellar terminal performance. What caliber are you planning to load? I guess I should assume 30/06 from your moniker.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 PM

'06,

I performed a series of test on the 150 grain, .308, Interbond. I'll try yo recall the information, but maybe you can find it in the archives. Accuracy was very good and more than acceptable for hunting. In one twst I fired four rounds into a plastic box, chuck full of newapapers and filled with water. The bullets were fired from a .308W at a MV of 2775 fps. Range was 20 ft, 40 yards, 75 yards and about100 yards.

At 20", the bullet penetrated the deepest, about 15 5/8". The bullet expanded to .764" and retained the weight of 128.7 grns or 86% of its original weight.

At 40 yards the bullet penetrated 11 3/4", expanded to .714", retained the weight of 132.6 for 88% of its original weight.

At 75 yards, the bullet penetrated 14", expanded to .698", and retained a weight of 134.7 grs for 90%.

At 100 yards the bullet penetrated 13 1/8", expanded to .684" and retained 136.7 grs for 91% of its weight.

I switched bullet brands many times over the years looking for the "big 5".
Expansion to at least twice the starting diameter. Deep penetration. High weight retention, at least 2/3s a bullets starting weight. High ballistic coefficient. And outstanding accurarcy. The closest I've ever come to it was with the Nosler Partition, but only on a once in a while basis.
Now I think I may have found it.

Since running those test, Nosler has brought out their Accubond in a 150 grain weight. Now I'm testing the Accubonds. Accuracy seems to favor the Accubonds. Now I'd like to run the other test on a side by side basis and see what comes up. I hope that this is of some help.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate any information I can get. Yes, I plan on orking up a good "all around" load for my 30-06. I am a bit anal about bullet performance and accuracy. I dont find inaccurate rifles to be interesting at all. I am well aare that 1 MOA has been claimed to be perfect for a hunting arm, I disagree. Besides, working up loads is a much better use of my time than sitting in a bar.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have also experienced great results with the Nosler Accubonds. I loaded some 160gr with RL19 powder for my Rem. 700 in 280 Remington. The accuracy was remarkable as well as bullet performance. I harvested a 1000# Canadian moose at about 60 yards, one shot kill, the animal never took one step( high shoulder shot). I recovered the bullet and it retained 69% of it's weight, which I consider quite satisfactory performance considering the velocity and shot distance.Previously I was using 139gr Hornady BTSP for deer size game, but never was impressed with the accuracy out of that bullet, although the performance was acceptable.I have heard from several friends that shoot 280 Rem. that they have also found the heavier bullets are also more accurate in their rifles. Hope this info helps!
ORIGINAL: Roskoe

For what its worth, my experience with the Nosler Accubonds and the Swift Sciroccos has been the opposite - very good accuracy and stellar terminal performance. What caliber are you planning to load? I guess I should assume 30/06 from your moniker.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:40 PM

IVE TAKEN SEVERAL DEER 2 CARIBOU AND A MT.GOAT WITH SIERRA GAMEKINGS HAVE YET TO HAVE AN ANIMAL GET AWAY, ALL IN 06

Old 12-08-2005, 03:57 PM
DM

I performed a series of test on the 150 grain, .308, Interbond. I'll try yo recall the information, but maybe you can find it in the archives. Accuracy was very good and more than acceptable for hunting. In one twst I fired four rounds into a plastic box, chuck full of newapapers and filled with water. The bullets were fired from a .308W at a MV of 2775 fps. Range was 20 ft, 40 yards, 75 yards and about100 yards.

At 20", the bullet penetrated the deepest, about 15 5/8". The bullet expanded to .764" and retained the weight of 128.7 grns or 86% of its original weight.

At 40 yards the bullet penetrated 11 3/4", expanded to .714", retained the weight of 132.6 for 88% of its original weight.

At 75 yards, the bullet penetrated 14", expanded to .698", and retained a weight of 134.7 grs for 90%.

At 100 yards the bullet penetrated 13 1/8", expanded to .684" and retained 136.7 grs for 91% of its weight.

I switched bullet brands many times over the years looking for the "big 5".
Expansion to at least twice the starting diameter. Deep penetration. High weight retention, at least 2/3s a bullets starting weight. High ballistic coefficient. And outstanding accurarcy. The closest I've ever come to it was with the Nosler Partition, but only on a once in a while basis.
Now I think I may have found it.
Great test BUT, it doesn't mean anything once the bullet is pushed faster, as in for instance, a 30-06 or a magnum would. Increaseing the velocity will change how the bullet performs on game and almost always means "worse" performance.

My point is, i hope readers understand that just because a bullet works in a 308 Win., it doesn't mean it will perform well on game in a 30-06 or something that drives that same bullet even faster yet.

Drilling Man
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had the same problem as mossy's friend couldn't get the accuracy where I expected it and therefore they never made it off the bench for me. On the flip side I have had no problems getting good accuracy out of the Nosler AB's and they have performed excellent in the field as well. I have taken Moose, Elk and Deer with 160 AB out my 7mm rem mag all pass thrus 1 shot kills, good sized wound channels, good blood on the dirt and not one animal has made it out of my view...none have flopped but never have they covered more than 50 yards either. I wouldn't consider it a larger game shoulder buster like some other notablesbut on a rib shot which both my elk/moose were it did the job nicely.

I am planning on working with the 140 version for next fall for my deer and if I get drawn antelope. I personally have favoured 150NBT's but if I can get the accuracy, velocity out of the 140 AB's I think it will be an excellent combo for these animals.

Quick Reply: Bullet Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.