Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sighting in this weekend, hows my process? >

Sighting in this weekend, hows my process?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting in this weekend, hows my process?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Spike

Default Sighting in this weekend, hows my process?

Normally in the past when sighting in my ML and scope I would shoot, swab a saturated patch down the barrel, flip it over and swab again, then do the same with a dry patch, shoot again. Once I am sighted in I will shoot 2 consecutive shots to see what kind of group I will get with the dirty barel. Anyone see any flaw that I need to change?

Here is my setup: 50cal T/C encore Blackhorn209(start at 100gr) with a 250gr superglid shockwave.

thanks all.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Sighting in this weekend, hows my process?

The only flaw I can see is the $ of the powder and bullets. Your combo is a lot more expensive than lead bullets and black powder.
But accuracy is the goal and what you are doing seems perfectly fine. Have fun.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Spike

Your bullet and powder is great. You should forget the swabbing between shots. Blackhorn shoots better with no swabbing.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

BlackHorn's claim to fame is you do not have to swab between shots. If you were swabbing with water, you might actually hurt your accuracy. If you were swabbing with a solvent you should have been fine. Also what ever method makes you feel comfortable is good.

How did your rifle shoot with that set up? I am kind of surprised you needed the super glide sabots.

Next time out try this. Fowl the bore with40 grains of BlackHorn 209 with a patch pushed on top of it.Just shoot it off in the air or anywhere safe. Thenload and shoot without swabbing. Fire three times and see what happens. Ishot twenty rounds with BH and never swabbed once. Accuracy was exceptional.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Spike

bronko22000, that was my first thought; that is a few dollars being shot down range, BUT I have new scope on the gun and I have boresighted it, yetthe only way I see to get any gun on, is to obviously shoot the gun with my hunting load (Im hoping that my gun likes that combo to minimalize shots on the range)Cayugad, I actually haven't shot that load yet, been too busy bowhunting. I just bought the BH209 a couple weeks ago after reading all the reviews of it on here. As far as the superglides go, my old man bought those mainly for himself because he is handicapped and is looking for something a little easier to load into the gun. I have been shooting the normal shockwaves, but if these things group well, then one box should be enough to last the both of us all season....we shall see. I may end up going back to the normal shockwaves. thanks again guys....If I get around to shooting I'll report back. While we are at it, where do you guys sight in? I was planning on being zeroed at 100yards, after shooting at 50yrds to get on target.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lefse

Your bullet and powder is great. You should forget the swabbing between shots. Blackhorn shoots better with no swabbing.
Agree 100%, this is one of the major big time benefits of Blackhorn, now swabing. Chap
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Every body has to find the combination that suits there self and there gun. I do it a bit different, I spent a lot of time and effort finding cleaning fluid and metal preseveritive that would put the first shot in the group so I could start with a clean barrel if it happened to come down that way.
If you are going to hunt with a clean barrel then swabbing out good with #9 or a combo like I use would be a good idea as the first shot is usually the one that counts.
The only thing I see there that I might question is the sabot,it is my experance that the sabot is a make or break item as far as good groups are concerned, I suggest [especally for any long range possability] that you try several sabots the one that shoots best in the majority of TC guns with that bullet is the Short Black Harvester, but to be sure of the best combination I would also try MMP HPH24 the Short black MMP the MMP12 and the Crush Rib.
Good luck Lee