Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you process yourself? >

Do you process yourself?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you process yourself?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you process yourself?

How long do you let it hang? What is the max temp to let it hang?
Old 12-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you process yourself?

i let it hang until i get around to it, wouldn't let it hang too long in 75 degree weather.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

if it's below 50 degrees preferably 45 or less, i have went up to 3 days on the hang and i like doing this, the meat turnes out so much better. if its above 50 and im in a pinch(work) i hang in a insulated pole barn and stuff cavity with Ice and get to it as soon as possably.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always just bring it home and cut it up. I have never noticed any different tastein the meat weather it hangs or not.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I process them myself because I will not pay someone $100 to do it. I will let them hang occasionally if the temps are right...40 degree temps for a max of 2 days. Around freezing for a max of like 3 days.

shadow
Old 12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

Meat ages just as well in the freezer as it does hanging!!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Typical Buck

I let it hang 1-2 days if below 50, maybe longer if down below 40. Above 50, I de-bone and pack in ice until I have time to grind or package steaks. I ALWAYS skin within 2-4 hours of being shot! This simple task releases the body heat the quickest. I've seen snow stand on a deers back without melting. The skin retains heat very effectively. I have buddies that let the carcass hang up to 4-5 days at 50-70 degrees with the skin on. There thinking is that the skin will keep the warm air temps. out! WRONG! When you skin it at that time the inside of the skin will be green and have a disagreeable odor from the bacteria. Not what I want to eat!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 PM

As soon as possible. I hunted in WI once and talked to a old butcher. He told me to not let them hang to long and to get all the fat I can off the meat. He said hanging to long and fat can make deer meat stronger, because it wild meat not a cow. I cut mine up and put the meat in ice water to stiffen it up for cutting. I have maybe have cut up over a hundred deer in my life time and I never have had any bad deer meat.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Dad and I always quarter and cool it immeadiately, welightly wrap each piece with freezer paper to keep it from drying out. Can't be bothered depending on the weather. Then it goes into a refridgerator and cut up into steaks, etc. within a few days.

Quick Reply: Do you process yourself?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.