Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Optima Elite Max Load? >

Optima Elite Max Load?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Optima Elite Max Load?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Optima Elite Max Load?

I am a little confused on the max powder load for my new Optima Elite. The manual says for loose powder the max load is 100gr. It lists Magnum rifles but it only list Pellet charges and says up to 150 gr pellets. I thought roughly 120gr loose was equivelent to 150 gr pellets. I am also shooting Shocky's Gold for now using 200gr T/C Shockwaves and I was thinking I should be able to bump up to 130 gr loose. I doubt I will go that high, but I want to know what my limit is if I decide to push it. I really think I will be safe up to 120gr of Shockey's. I do plan on switching to BH 209. What would be the max load I should use with BH209.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Optima Elite Max Load?

I would stick with what the manual says. I had this same question a couple years ago with a Winchester Apex. The answer I got was that the pressures can be different with the loose powder than with the pellets even though 150 grains of pellets is roughly equivalent to 120 grains of loose.
The short answer is: be safe and stick with the manufacturer's recommendation.
Art
Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

The two kinds of powder have different burn rates which changes the pressure ratings in the barrel is how it was explained to me. If the manufacturer says 100 grains of loose, then I personally would never tell you to exceed that.

Also if you go to the powder makers sites, many of them will tell you that two pellets should be the maximum load. I do think too many people get caught up in the magnum game. They need a magnum rifle, and fire magnum powder charges.. well that is nonsense. For years, we hunted with 60-90 grains of loose powder, roundballs and conicals, and we killed the deer and other game just as dead.

I judge my powder charge by the accuracy of the rifle. If you are getting good accuracy with the present load, stick with it. If you want to try loose powder and exceed the manufacturer's recommendations, then you do so knowing that if something happens the rifle will not be under warranty.

Also remember, different brands of powder also produce different amounts of pressure. If you want more kick for the grain go with BlackHorn 209 or Triple Se7en 2f powder. Shockey's Gold and APP is one of the more mellow powders out there IMO.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I am using loose powder. I do plan on switching to BH209 after I finish the Shockeys or if I'm not happy with it. I think since APP is melower I might take it up to 110 max. I plan on starting at 90 and then moving in 5 gr increments.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

The Optima Elite is a top quality rifle.I personally think it could handle more then 100 grains of powder as when I got my CVA Staghorn Magnum I unknowingly (stupidly)loaded 120 grains of Pyrodex RS once. I had been shooting my Black Diamond XR and never checked the powder measure when I switched over the the Staghorn to let the Diamond cool in the shade. My CVA shoots best with 90 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. But I will repeat.. never exceed the manufacturer's recommendations.

Good luck with your Optima. I have been watching the local wal mart and when they have their year end sale, I might just buy one to play with.