Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BH209 and knight LRH questions >

BH209 and knight LRH questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209 and knight LRH questions

Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM
Spike

Default BH209 and knight LRH questions

Hi Everyone- I usually do more reading here than posting. I just ordered a couple cans of blackhorn 209 to try out in my Knight LRH . I think I read here of a modifcation to the flash hole for better ignition. Does anyone know of this procedure? Also has anyone ever tried this powder with the power stem breech plug? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BH209 and knight LRH questions

Redline

You can modify the Domed Plug-this is the same one they sell for the Knight Revolution:

Part# 900043 http://www.knightrifles.com/productd...aspx?id=900043

Yes I drilled out the flash hole. I used the drill bit that just fits inside the nipple. Drilled out 5cm from the nipple towards the face of the plug. This ends up being about where the threads stop.

I use just CCI regular 209 primers, and it ignites every time
I use only New red plastic jackets. The nipple on the domed plug is fatter than the standard plug, and makes an even tighter fit to control blow back

Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Redline,
I shoot the LRH and havent made any modifications to the breech plug. I tapped into my sixth can of BH209 today at the range. Ive used the breech plug that came with it with FPJ (FPJ shave been on their 4 range session) and the breech with the bare 209 primers. Ive used cci209M and federal 209a , and i havent had one hang fire. Ive tested shooting with or without FPJ, and with both primers, and accuracy doesnt change, my POI is all the same. The only difference is without the FPJ, it doesnt seem to get as dirty in the primer carrier and bolt area. The bare primers tend
to get stuck, so you have to shake it a bit to get them out sometimes. So i have been shooting the FPJ, and just reusing them. If you would like any range info on what ive found works for with LRH, ill gladly pass it along. Bob
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

i use the supplied concave plug that come in all the LRH. with the win209 i get hangfires all the time. cci209m no hangfires. i don't know which primer i like better as far as accuracy goes. the win did real well when they worked right. i tried teh cci enough.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Spike

revpilot I woul dreally appriciate any info you could pass along -- I could use the help. Thank You
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

Redline,

This is just info what ive found that works for my particular gun, so maybe it might help you out, i dont claim to be no expert black powder shooter. I just got done cleaning my gun after todays range session. I think im going back to shooting the bare primers at the rangeand i will use the FPJ for hunting. I cant believe how much dirtier the bolt area and primer carrier was today, compared to shooting with the bare primer breech plug and adapter the other day. As far as loads. 110g BH209 has held the best groups for me.I know everyone has there opinions on what is a good hunting bullet and what isnt. Im only passing on the info as to how well these combos worked at the range, i havent shot any animals with any of these loads.This will be my first hunting season with the LRH.

Most accurate loads for me
100yds- 290g Barnes tmz,250gBarnes TMZ250sst with supplied sabots and mmp short, 300g sst with short black
harvester
250g Parker Ballistic extemes, shot best with red crush rib, with mmp short right behind that
200yds-250g sst with the supplied sabot or the mmp short

I tried shooting the dead center 300g plastic tipped ones, scorpion gold pt , shockwave(shot same as sst) XTPS(240g 300g) Remington 300g HPand they did not group as well as above loads.

If your considering shooting Barnes TMZ bullets, i would go to the Knight website and they have on clearance Knight polymer tipped 250g/290g tmz with yellow sabots for 13.99 for 18