Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Cherokee with Powerbelts. >

T/C Cherokee with Powerbelts.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Cherokee with Powerbelts.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default T/C Cherokee with Powerbelts.

Hi guys been a while since I posted but I sandbag often. I have a conical and Powerbelt question regarding my .45 Cherokee. I am going to the range tomorrow to see if I can get decent accurace with conicals out of this rifle. Round balls have not shot that great out of it and I think it is because of the beat up old bore. Some but not all the patches are chewed up and the bore was a sewer pipe when I picked the rifle up.

The regular bp site I post at doesn't care much for conicals/inlines/modern bullets so I figure I can ask you guys without being beat up what kind of experiences you are having with Powerbelts in 48 twist rifles and more importantly with the .45 bore.

The T/C manual give a max load of 90gFF for the Cherokee with conicals but I was figuring around 75-80g of FFF or T7 as a charge more likely going with 75g or even a little less.

This is a very light carbine that will be perfect for thick woods if it shoots good and the ballistics given for conicals I feel should humainly take whitetail.

Now it's your turn what do you all think?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C Cherokee with Powerbelts.

any powerbelt in the 45cal class will work in that charge, I would start at 65grs and work up.

if your hunting in thick woods your looking at 75yrds at most.

for deer, I would start at the 223gr powerbelts. anything under is hitting varmint rounds.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

my buddy has a 45 cherokee and it shoots round balls very well. with a 1/48 twist i would try maxi balls. if you get tired of the gun you could always part it out. the cherokee gets crazy good money on ebay.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
FG

225,275 Copper or 223,300gr Platinum series Powerbelts would be a great load.

With any of those bullets, 80gr triple 7 or pyrodex will be deadly out to 150+ yards if you can see that far with open sights.