Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 muzzleloader scope >

muzzleloader scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzleloader scope

Old 09-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default muzzleloader scope

Hi,

Today my cousin and I went to cabelas and were looking at scopes for our muzzleloaders. He shoots a CVA kodiak pro and i have a CVA Optima and my cousin was looking at a scope that wascalled a Pine Ridge 2.5-7x32 for $70.... The guy that was helping us said that usually people will spend the same amount on a scope as they did on the gun.. I am kinda new to the gun thing i am more on the archery side of hunting but I have always likes plinking around with stuff and am always looking for something new..

Now I was personally looking at the Nikon BDC scope. I liked the idea of having the different circles that mark out 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards...but obviously that wouldnt be the same for every gun and you cant move the circles to sight it in so its dead nuts...

What sight would you recommend for us that you can shoot when its close to getting dark and is decent enough to shoot 200 yards? I dont want something that will zoom in so much you can see yourself breathe through but I want to be able to see the deer at 200 yards out?

thanks, Todd
Old 09-13-2008, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: muzzleloader scope

Any of the BDC scopes are fine if you spend the time to determine where your rifle shoots relative to the various optional sighting marks. I personally prefer the Burris scope that has the BDC reticle. I did buy on Nikon Omega and have not mounted it yet. As far a shooting deer at 200 yards I can only say that is possible if you spend a lot of time with your rifle and are pretty good a estimating wind speed and direction. Wind drift of a muzzleloading bullet at 200 yards can be as much as 15-20 inches. I do not have the time to spend for that so I limit my shots to under 150 yards (most are actually under 100).
Old 09-14-2008, 04:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

He shoots a CVA kodiak pro and i have a CVA Optima and my cousin was looking at a scope that wascalled a Pine Ridge 2.5-7x32 for $70....

Cabela's Pine Ridge scopes are among the shoddiest of the Chinese made scopes-junk. Spend a few hundred bucks and get a good quality scope.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

With muzzleloaders you want to keep shots under 100 yards,especiallyat dusk. As far as a scope,a 3-9x40 is the best all around power.

A few good affordable scopes to look at:
Nikon Prostaff - $150
Vortex Diamondback - $175
Burris Full Field II - $175
Leupold Rifleman - $200

If youwant to zoom them in more, a4.5-14x42 is probably the most power you will want. The Nikon Buckmaster andBurris FF have the 4.5-14, and Leupold Rifleman has a 4-12x40, and all run around $250.00

To go higher in power you have to go with scopes with more expensive lenses than above, which puts you in the $500 and over range.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome thanks for the help!

The guy at Cabelas told me that you need to use a scope made for muzzleloading on a muzzleloader. So it looks like he was wrong again...those people are idiots. Ill take a look at those sights you mentioned Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: tazman7

I liked the idea of having the different circles that mark out 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards...but obviously that wouldnt be the same for every gun and you cant move the circles to sight it in so its dead nuts...
Actually you can move the circles; that's how they work. The crosshairs at the top remain the same at all magnification levels but the BDC circles move when you change magnification. It should work well with about any muzzleloader - you just have to figure out how it works with yours.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Well thats good to know..that idiot told me you cant move the circles...
Old 09-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe you can "move" the circles.But bigmossy is right otherwise as changing magnification will produce nearly the same results as moving the circles. At 9X, the distance between the center reticle and the first BDC cirle or line might be (for example) 4" AT THE 100 yard TARGET. Reducing magnification by exactly 1/2 would result in that distance (at the same target) being twice as much or 8" in this example.

Just as field of view increases as you reduce magnification, so does the amount of span between those marks increase (at the target).