Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 This BH209 suff....... >

This BH209 suff.......

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

This BH209 suff.......

Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This BH209 suff.......

Saxman, that's the way they all are. Half full (or less). Maybe someday we can get free refills. Has anyone weighed the contents of those deceptively large bottles?

This may be the greatest scam ever pulled on us.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Spike

I weighed one of mine on a postal scale. A empty one, then a full one. Or I should say half full. It was ten ounces. I sure like the stuff. Shooting 100 grains with the 200 gr sw. I have just shot two groups at 200 yds. The first one was 1 1/8 inch. Today it was 1 3/4. There was some wind that spread it a little horizontal. 6 1/2 inches low at 200. Should be a good deer load out to 200.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:01 PM

I won't be fooling with it as I value quick ignition, and since the conversion kit isn't"approved"....mebbe some one will tell me BH is full of it and the kit will work fine.

Is this stuff sold as a pound?

A pound is a pound, 16 ounces, not 10....mebbe saxman did get ripped off.

Or is it sold as a pound eqivalent?

Ya know, a "pounds worth" by volume. That would allow it to weigh less that 7000 grains, but still yeild 7000 grains worth of boom.......

The size of the powder bottles is on purpose, and it's got to do with HAZMAT and rapidly combustable materials. The same volume of powder is far more dangerous in a more confined space, and some Einstein somewhere decided how much extra room in the bottles is "safer". The same reason it comes in mostly plastic bottles. The burn rate of the plastic is slower than the old cardboard canisters when exposed to an outside ignition source, and the plastic offers a slow"burn" over an "explosion" when compared to metal cans......

Thank OSHA for most of it.....you are safer now.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah aint buyin the OSHA thing - it's just trickery. And it's sold as 10 oz., just 10 oz.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 AM

Well 10 oz is 10 ounces then so a jug isn't gonna look like much...in retrospect that 10 oz. of real weight is likely equivalent to a pound worth of burn.

Dothe Fire Service HAZMAT training that I haveand much things OSHA can be realized.....despite most it being total BS in real world application.

New regs just out....those flipping breakers in our plant, ie: the maintenance crew...must wear specified clothes, leather gloves, a hard hat,and a face shield. Technically, because we turn the lights off and on by flipping breakers, they must suit up or we risk OSHA fines.Rediculous "idiot proofing"in my opinion...........
Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

I am not a big supporter of OSHA; however, I did on one occasion hit a 440V circuit breaker to restart a dynamometer and due to a crack in the switch I got a significant jolt which almost took me out. Maybe the leather gloves is not such a bad idea. After that time I reset the switch with a long wooden stick.

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

Well 10 oz is 10 ounces then so a jug isn't gonna look like much...in retrospect that 10 oz. of real weight is likely equivalent to a pound worth of burn.

Dothe Fire Service HAZMAT training that I haveand much things OSHA can be realized.....despite most it being total BS in real world application.

New regs just out....those flipping breakers in our plant, ie: the maintenance crew...must wear specified clothes, leather gloves, a hard hat,and a face shield. Technically, because we turn the lights off and on by flipping breakers, they must suit up or we risk OSHA fines.Rediculous "idiot proofing"in my opinion...........
Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 AM

I can agree, as I too got hit with 480 three phase wilst plugging in a welding machine back in the 80's, regardingthe suck factor of electric shock.

But many of these OSHA regs are just too far out for them to do any good, it adds a tremendous cost to manufacturing just to allow a gubment agency to tell us what our daddy's should have taught us as kids...

Those oversized powder jugs ain't free and the powder companies aren't absorbing the cost....WE pay for them.

And folks wonder why American Goods are too high priced, not completely OSHA's fault, but afair part of it.........
Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Spike

You need a 209 conversion for the Ruger 77-50 or you'll get hangfires if it ignites at all, I found a 209 conversion kit that seems to work here - http://www.muzzleloadingbullets.com/...onversion.html. There's also a lot of info on improving accuracy.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by saxman1
Mine came in today
The jar has been opened as the seal is gone and the bottle is less than 1/2 full
Looks like someone took about 1/2 of it
Normal for smokeless powder (which is what BH 209 is... the smoke is likely an additive and is just for show). If you handload, and therefore have opened a can of smokeless powder or two, you'll know that the cans the powder comes in are grossly oversized. Even with a full pound (16oz actual weight), the plastic container is rarely more than 2/3 full, but if you weigh it, it's 16 ounces. In the case of BH 209, it's been cleverly sold in 10 ounce cans, so that you can be even further ripped off. $35 for 5/8ths of a pound for what is really nothing more than cleverly marketed smokeless powder that would sell for under $25/lb if it were meant for smokeless arms... genius. I'll stick with AA-5744 at $22/lb in my Savage. MUCH more economical.

Mike