Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots >

Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Hornady and T/C are in cahoots with the XTP's....

Hornady MAKES them and sells them as mainly CFreloading components packaged in Hornady boxes.

The T/C packages in Walmart contain the SAME XTP's but in smaller quantity, and at a higher price, and under the T/C name.

Regarding SABOTS: The XTP's fly best with T/C mag Express SABOTS, and with Hornadybulk sabots, I've used the green Hornady's.

Regardingxtp BULLETSvs.xtp MAG BULLETS: They are TWO DIFFERENT designs of bullet.Regular XTP's will expand fine on deer, XTP MAGS won't. They both "shoot" fine as in accuracy, but the MAG is designed with a thicker, tougher jacket andare for the high intensity handgun rounds...not lower velocity ML'ers. The regular XTP's are DESIGNED specifically for lower velocity expansion.

It's all in theloose use of the termMAG and an array of unclearpackaging that lends to the confusion.

Go to the reloading components department and purchase bulk boxes regular XTP's, and go to the ML'er department and purchase bulk bags of T/C mag express sabots...you'll be muchmoney ahead.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are an excellant bullet I have taken many deer with them in my Thunder Hawks and my System One, I too have switched to Gold Dots and SW's as I feel that with the heavier loads and faster powders a bonded bullet is best but with 100grs of Black or Pyrodex they do just fine. Lee
Old 09-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Once again thanks so much to all that answered my questions on the XTP bullets.I will try the 240 grain first and if they dont shoot well then I will try the 300 grain bullets from Hornady.You guys shoot much more than I do even though I love to shoot muzzleloaders or anything that goes bang for that matter!Cayugad I know you were not trying to push TC but just trying to give helpful advice and I appreciate that as I cant afford to try everything as these days its just to expensive to do.I do like TC a lot but the price on them is just to high now a days.Guess they have to pay for Jim Shockeys hunts some how!I have owned 2 TC,S,1 White,1 Remington so far.When my gun comes wednesday from Cabelas this will be my second Remington.My first Remington 700 ML was the best shooting ML I have ever shot or seen shoot.That thing with Barnes bullets was almost unbelievable in accuracy and I wish I had never sold it.I just hope this Genesis shoots somewhere close as my old one but that will be asking alot.For 165.00 for a stainless I could not ask for a better deal.While TC is paying for the Hunting shows Remington is undercutting them on price bigtime on the net at cabelas as I got it shipped to me for 2.99.Once again thanks to everyone who spent time to give me your honest opinion. Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Typical Buck

This Hornady page shows the XTP and XTP Mag bullets and if you click on "more info." there's an explanation of their differences.
I think that XTP Mags. may have originally been developed for the higher velocities of the .444 Marlin rifle, with the 300 grain bullets becoming more popular when Marlin changed their .444 from Micro Groove to Ballard riflingsome years ago. That rifling change encouraged people to switch from the 240 grain to 300 grain bullets, and the .44 magnum XTPhandgun bullets probably didn'thold together at thehigher .444rifle velocities. Plus some rifles like the smokeless Savage attain higher velocities thanother muzzle loadersdo using theregular XTP handgun bulletstoo, so they benefitby having the tougher XTP Mag's available.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=559ff453c617b8881bb7240537eda819&p age=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=fb73b4b3a3f422cd ff2546992d2a2166
Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Spike

I shoot the 240 grain XTP magbullet from my TC Encore with a Harvester sabot. Just started using BH 209 powder with excelent results. I had been shooting with 777 also with excellent results. The 240 grain XTP mag has a designed working velocity of 1100 to 2100 fps so it matches very well to a 100 grain load. At those velocities it will open up with no problems.

If you are shooting out to 125 yards or so, I don't think you will any problems what so ever. The price is right too if you buy the bullets and sabots sperately.

Check this web site for an article on XTPs http://www.chuckhawks.com/underrated_hornady_XTP.htm
Old 09-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Spike

From the Hornady web site, this is the 240 grain .452 XTP mag:

[/align]

50 CAL SABOT WITH 45 CAL 240 GR XTP/MAG BULLET

The Harvester sabot is longer the the one that you would get if you bought them packaged from Hornady.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have a new box of the 240 gr. .452 xtp mags and a box of the same in Cheap Shots (all lead). I have not tried them at all in my Omega but they shot really well out of my CVA Kodiak I used to have. I have never shot a deer with one though.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Spike

Absolutely! I have used the Thompson Center XTP Bullets in Mag Express Sabots in 240 grain for years. They come in a 30 pack for 11.99 at Walmart before and during season. I've shot them in my sidelock rifles with a 1 in 48 twist or faster. My best load is Hodgdon Triple 7 FFFG powder at 100 grains. They are extremely accurate and the stopping power is outstanding. The deer don't run. Maybe one or two jumps. I shoot kill shots. Dead sideways and right through both lungs. Anything else and they may run a short bit, but not if both lungs are gone.

Thompson Center Shockwave's are also XTP bullets with a poly ballistic tip in mag express sabots. I use the 200 grain version when hunting open fields where distance may be required. They come in a package of 15 for 10.99 at Walmart. Cabelas is usually twice that price. The ballistic tip in 200 grain allows me to take deer effectively at 200 - 250 yards with my inlines and 200 yards with my sidelocks. My best load and performance is with 2 "White Hots" pellets in both my inlines with 1 in 28 rate of twist. For sidelocks I stick with 100 grains of Triple 7 FFFG powder. Very clean and no corrosive sulfer. Packs the best punch for the money of any black powder substitute.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Holy thread resurrection, Batman.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad

[hr]

Mike - I was not suggesting that you purchase the XTPs made by Thompson Center. When I saw you referring to them as Hornady XTP Mag Sabots I was guessing they might be the T/C mag express which are basically the same thing. I guess I forgot that Hornady does sell their own kind of XTP's. And by all means if they are cheaper then buy them. I personally by them and sabots in bulk and shoot them that way. Even cheaper that way.

As for rifles, if your happy with your Genesis then I am glad to read that. I am not trying to even suggest everyone purchase only Thompson Center products. If I were hawking rifles they would be Whites... as they have to be my all time favorite inline rifle. My Knights are good too. And I own Thompson Centers and CVA's. Although I don't own a Remington. I did see one hunting show where a woman was bear hunting with a Genesis and shot a nice bear. There are also shows where I have seen Knights used. But your right about T/C and them spending the advertizing dollars on the hunting shows.

Good luck this season with your Remington Genesis and your Hornady XTPS. I am sure they will do real good for you. Come to think of it, I have shot the Hornady XTPs and they shot real well too. I just checked my wall shelves of bullets and I still have some of them. But I normally shoot the 300 grain as I like a heavy bullet most the time.
Dave all I shoot are the .430 240gr XTP Hornady Mag's and I was pretty sure the ones TC sells in there 30 pack of Mag Express Sabots were also made by Hornady so I did some checking. I found these sold at Midway by Larry Potterfield, and he has them also listed with the TC Packs having the XTP Mag bullets being made by Hornady.
(BP)
Attached Thumbnails  Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots-dsc01894.jpg  

Quick Reply: Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.