Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots >

Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Went to Cabelas sight and saw many great reviews for the Hornady XTP Mag sabots.I have never shot them in a muzzleloader before but the accuracy and knockdown power sounded real good.Getting ready to purchase bullets soon and I must admit the price on these bullets for a pack of 20 is a great buy.I have killed a Bear before using the 240 grain bullet before in my 444 Marlin and it put the smackdown on him.Any results on accuracy and results on any game would be much appreciated! Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

I have used the .430 240 xtp non mag last year with an green mmp out of my knight last year. took a 90lbs doe. it only ran 25 yrds. did not have a blood trail. that was my fault shot her too high to bleed out.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

vaslugger

Hey mike!

The Hornady .452/300 grain XTP Mag is a very good bullet as is the 44/300 but I am not sure it is billed as a XTP MAG. There have been some problems reported with the XTP Mag when they are shot a shorter ranges at deer. The copper on the bullet wraps over into the nose of the bullet and in some case at close range they do not always expand. The regular XTP is really, I think the better bullet to 130-140 yards.

I would also suggest that if you are going to buy them, instead of buying the packages of bullets and sabots, buy a box of the bullets in bulk, then get the sabots that will match your bore.

As a suggestion I would suggest you also look at the .452/300 grain Speer Gold Dot. It is a bonded bullet and will not come apart. It is effective from short ranges to 200 - the BC on the bullet is a pretty nice .233 as which is several points higher than the Hornady.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Went to Cabelas sight and saw many great reviews for the Hornady XTP Mag sabots.I have never shot them in a muzzleloader before but the accuracy and knockdown power sounded real good.Getting ready to purchase bullets soon and I must admit the price on these bullets for a pack of 20 is a great buy.I have killed a Bear before using the 240 grain bullet before in my 444 Marlin and it put the smackdown on him.Any results on accuracy and results on any game would be much appreciated! Mike

They are accurate. When you purchase them as a pack of bullets are these the Thompson Center Mag Express? I have shot the XTP mags. They shoot real well. I have read some of the reports also about how the XTP mag hold to gether harder. I have never shot anything with them though other then paper.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

The Mag Expressmust refer to the sabot. TC sells the .430 300 grain bullet in a pack called Mag Express Sabots. Thereare no .430XTP Magnum bullets. Hereare the specs for Hornady XTP bullets.

http://www.hornady.com/media/Handgun_Bullets.pdf

The .430 240 grain XTP is a very good bullet. Have killed a lot of deer and dozens of hogs with that bullet and my CVA Staghorn. Vast majority were bang flops. i use two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets or 100 grains of loose Pyrodex RS.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all that responded.I do believe this is the sabot that I will buy this year and if it shoots good in my Remington Genesis it will be my hunting bullet for deer and bear.The price of 11.99 for a pack of 20 with the sabots is great from Cabelas.Leaning towards the Hornady package in 240 grain XTP standard.Cayugad the TC package of XTP bullets with sabots is 1 to 3 dollars higher for the very same bullets.While I like TC I am not in love with them and save my extra dollars and buy the Hornady packages from Cabelas for way cheaper that just getting the TC name added to it.While TC is great they would want to make you think everyone in the world is shooting a TC gun as they sponser every hunting show I see almost on the Outdoor Channel.I could have bought two Remington Genesis rifles with money left over for what it would have cost me for one Omega.When money is tight I try to use my God given wisdom on all my purchases in everything I buy.Any more feedback is much appreciated!Thanks to all who answered! Mike
Old 09-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vaslugger

Thanks to all that responded.I do believe this is the sabot that I will buy this year and if it shoots good in my Remington Genesis it will be my hunting bullet for deer and bear.The price of 11.99 for a pack of 20 with the sabots is great from Cabelas.Leaning towards the Hornady package in 240 grain XTP standard.Cayugad the TC package of XTP bullets with sabots is 1 to 3 dollars higher for the very same bullets.While I like TC I am not in love with them and save my extra dollars and buy the Hornady packages from Cabelas for way cheaper that just getting the TC name added to it.While TC is great they would want to make you think everyone in the world is shooting a TC gun as they sponser every hunting show I see almost on the Outdoor Channel.I could have bought two Remington Genesis rifles with money left over for what it would have cost me for one Omega.When money is tight I try to use my God given wisdom on all my purchases in everything I buy.Any more feedback is much appreciated!Thanks to all who answered! Mike
I have a friend who uses the 240 or 250g XTP Mag Sabots in the Hornady package. He likes them and they do the job. My son used them 2 years ago and got several deer. I have used them in my FL, but have since switch to Speer Gold Dot 300g, which I feel is the superior bullet. TheSpeer Gold dots in 100 packs (250g) areabout the same cost as the XTP, and you can buy bulk sabots.
Chap
Old 09-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

I use a 265 gr .430 mag bullet in grren sabot and in my 44 mag works well in both guns.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

[hr]

Mike - I was not suggesting that you purchase the XTPs made by Thompson Center. When I saw you referring to them as Hornady XTP Mag Sabots I was guessing they might be the T/C mag express which are basically the same thing. I guess I forgot that Hornady does sell their own kind of XTP's. And by all means if they are cheaper then buy them. I personally by them and sabots in bulk and shoot them that way. Even cheaper that way.

As for rifles, if your happy with your Genesis then I am glad to read that. I am not trying to even suggest everyone purchase only Thompson Center products. If I were hawking rifles they would be Whites... as they have to be my all time favorite inline rifle. My Knights are good too. And I own Thompson Centers and CVA's. Although I don't own a Remington. I did see one hunting show where a woman was bear hunting with a Genesis and shot a nice bear. There are also shows where I have seen Knights used. But your right about T/C and them spending the advertizing dollars on the hunting shows.

Good luck this season with your Remington Genesis and your Hornady XTPS. I am sure they will do real good for you. Come to think of it, I have shot the Hornady XTPs and they shot real well too. I just checked my wall shelves of bullets and I still have some of them. But I normally shoot the 300 grain as I like a heavy bullet most the time.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

I've been ezperimenting with those bullets but buying the components in bulk. Hornady green sabots in bags of 50 and the 300 gr XTP in boxes of 100. I have a green mountain 21" LRH barrel that likes them with 80 gr of 2f Goex. I tried 85 gr and the group doubled in size so 80 it is for me. I'll be pinning my hopes on that load this fall.

Quick Reply: Who Shoots Hornady XTP/Mag Sabots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.