Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I defer to more knowledgable people >

I defer to more knowledgable people

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I defer to more knowledgable people

Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I defer to more knowledgable people

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

You also didn't say how far your shot were likely to be. If they were not much over 100 yards, a bigger conical (such as the 460 grain No Excuses bullet) would also be a good choice.

If you compared the nosler to the NE, then you have a real delima.

And as far as comparing energy, I firmly believe that foot lbs don't give muzzleloading bullets their fair share. Here is another way to look at "knockdown": http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/July02.htm

All this is great paper exercising and fun, but you current load with the NP is a great load. At this point I wouldn't mess with a known successful formula.

Good luck!
That is a good article on KE and terminal performance, along these same lines please read these:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/reviews2.asp

and this, which is a comparison of fast pointed bullets (high BC bullets like the Dead Center) vs big large meplate bullet and a lotslower:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/product-news/publication-mentions/battlin-bullets/

Chap

Old 09-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interestingly, the Taylor Index for both bullets is smack dab middle of the road for moose (recommend TI 20-40). The 300gr NP comes in at 30.5 and the 340 PRDC at 34.73.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Spike

Thanks Chap, interesting articles. the debate goes on!

Huntaway. Bottom line is that the Taylor index shows you are in very good shape with the 300 gr. NP. The taylor index will generally give the edge to the bigger bullet, but doesn't take into account the different construction. If you were comparing a 300 and a 340 grain and they were both NP's, then I would give the nod to the bigger bullet.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58A

Thanks Chap, interesting articles. the debate goes on!

Huntaway. Bottom line is that the Taylor index shows you are in very good shape with the 300 gr. NP. The taylor index will generally give the edge to the bigger bullet, but doesn't take into account the different construction. If you were comparing a 300 and a 340 grain and they were both NP's, then I would give the nod to the bigger bullet.
Agreed the debate goes on. Weatherby, O'Connor, Keith and the Garrett crew are all smiling.

Hopefully I will be smiling as well in about a month.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

With them bullets I would not worry about any index or chart.. all I would worry about is whether or not I see a moose and can get close to it. Then I would shoot the devil and worry about the rest later. I am sure that bullet will get it done.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Like Dave said! No worries