Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 blown scope, lead sled to blame? >

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Old 08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Loony my friend, I do believe you are a NIB. On occasion we've had guys visit our hunting club who we classified as NIBs - stands for Never Invited Back.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I'll try to pansy proof it a little bit......just for you.
I'd say don't bother - erases all doubt of possesion of personality.

Steve
Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I have a Leupold 4.5X14 on my Knight LRH. It has the B&C reticle, which as you know is very close to the BP reticle. I have spent a lot of time working with the reticle, but it has worked out well. I set the power to 14X. The crosshair is dead on at 100 yards. Then the first crosshair downis on at 150. The second crosshair is dead on at 200 yards. And the third one down is a touch high at 225 yards.

It has taken a lot of powder and time to get this rifle shooting the way I want it. But this cross hair has worked out great for me. But it was not easy. However it takes a good accurate rifle and load before you canachieve results like this. I shoot the Barnes 250 grain TMZ bullet in front of 120 grains of loose 3F Triple 7. Whatever you do, please do not tell those guys on the reloading forum that I shoot those expensive Barnes bullets. Or I will never hear the end of it. Especially since I bash the expensive Barnes rifle bullets so much. However as soon as Ground Hog season is over I am going to try and work up a good load for a cast bullet. I have a few good 50 caliber molds. Tom.

My friend
That is a beautiful rifle
I like the uniqe fluting.
Sounds like a real shooter
Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

You guyz is nutz.....
Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi is my new hero. He is only half nutz.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cascadedad

outdoorsmen

I don't think you mentioned how much weight you use in your LeadSled.
2 25lb bags of lead shot.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been putting regular centerfire scopes on MLs since I started scoping MLs. To this day I have only crapped out a single scope. It was a $110 scope and it took 6 years of rough use before it finally went.

The first scope I ever installed on a ML followed the gun it was mounted on when I sold it to an acquaintance. Last I heard it must still be ok nearly 10 years later as it downed a deer last fall.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

Ditto - sept none of mine have crapped out, although I really wish the Tasco World Class would - even had a cheap old BSA on a Remington for years - still got that one also...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Spike

Hey guys,
I've been mulling this over trying to figure out why a lead sled might cause harm to scopes. Here's what I'm thinking. The LS adds mass to the rear of the stock. If you add too much weight can you imagine this scenario? If there is no give from the LS, then the stock has to absorb almost all of the recol by compression or flexing. Now batchie got me to thinking about the recoil senario of air guns destroying scopes because of 2-way recoil ( I have read about this years ago in a BEEMANS catalogue).
Here's what I think may be happening with the LS. The Recoil pad and the stock compress a small amount so the scope recoils backwards a little, but, then the stock and recoil pad rebound essentially producing a reverse recoil that reeks havok on scopes.
I can't prove this but to me it seems a likely explanation for scope failures.
If this is even close to what i s happening, it would seem that a modest amount of weight on the LS would still allow the rifle & LS to recoil rearward some without producing a significant reverse recoil.
What do you think of these marbles?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from Gander Mountain
I took my Lead Sled Back,When in doubt,throw it out.

I will get some bags like have been pictured earlier in this post and absorb the recoil myself.

I looked for rings and bases for my new CVA and they didnt have squat
Hardly any choices for 45 cal bulletts either,no BH 209,no Blackpowder
Thats a big store for a whole lot of nothin.
Went to the archery dept to grab a few things,it's all for right handed shooters,so I went to look for clothes and boots,nothing for a guy like me almost6'8" and wear a size 16 this is discrimination.I get tired of all internet shopping just to find out it doesn't fit and I have to send it back and try again.

OK
I feel better now

Quick Reply: blown scope, lead sled to blame?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.