Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight wolverine

Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Spike

Default Knight wolverine

I have a question. I have a 1995 Wolverine that was not used and not taken real good care of and now I am the one that has to try and clean it up. My question is : How do I get the rust out of the barrel? It is full of it. Obviously I know oil and the like but what is the best and easiest way? Thanks for any help.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Spike

Default RE: Knight wolverine

That should have read that it was used.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only own 4 muzzloader. 2 of which where rusted and pitted when I bought them.

try giving it a bath in hot soapy water. remove the breech plug and the barrel from the stock. once you have it in the water, with your ram rod or cleaning rod start doing a pumping action.
once you done, run as many patches you need to dry the bore.

another thing you can try. you can get a rust remover. apply it to a patch and run it down the bore. than take a 50cal bore brush and start scrubbing. once done, give it a bath in clean hot water to get the chemical (never mix chemicals).

what every you do. get some jb bore paste.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would try JB bore past, take a couple of round balls and squeeze them in a reloading press or a vice until they are just over bore size so that when you drive them into the barrel they imprint all the rifling then center bore them to fir a 10-32 screw and use the screw to mount them on the end of your ramrod mark them where the front sight is and keep that same rifling in line with the same place all the time put the bore paste on and do 3 full strokes the put more bore past on after a few times you will have to squeeze them again and start over. This is the best I can do considering what you describe. Hope this helps Lee
Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM

cougariii

Take some 91% ISO Alcohol and scrub the fire out of it until you get a fairly clean patches , then take some JB BORE PASTE and give her about 200 strockes switching every 50 strockes with a new patch and new paste , then go back to the Alcohol for cleaning . after you get a clean dry patch use a good gun OIL with Rust Inhibetor in it and soak it good inside
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Dominant Buck

If that barrel is badly rusted, it might be ruined. So you have little to loose. First thing I would do is take some solvent and a good brush and scrub that bore with a strong solvent. Then I would start pushing solvent patches through it.

Don't be surprised it the patches keep coming out with a rust color on them. After you have solvent attacked the bore good. Run dry patches through it. Even if they come out with rust traces.

After you have the bore dry, try shooting it with 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and some sabots and see how well it groups. If it shoots good, then there is some things you can do to the barrel to protect it.

If the barrel will not shoot. Get some maxi ball. And then get some NAPA Auto Parts valve grinding compound. Use the valve grinding compound as a lube and shoot about 10 of them maxiball through the barrel. Some people use JB Bore Paste because it is not so abrasive. You have technically fire lapped that barrel. Then clean the rifle real good and see what the patches look like.

After you have it cleaned, take it back out and shoot it with a sabot or some other projectile. See how it shoots. If it shoots good, then it is time to protect the bore.

If not, you might have to decide what you want to do with the rifle. You could try lapping it more. It might ruin the bore it might not. You really have nothing to loose at this point. You could call Knight also and see what they recommend.

If you get the barrel to where it is shooting, you want to oil that bore REAL HEAVY. Do not be scaredto put it on real thick. I would use some Break Free CLP. Oil it well and a few days later patch the oil out and check it again. Then re-oil it. Eventually the patches will come out gray. While that is not rust anymore, you still have a damaged bore. But if the rifle is a shooter, consider it a lesson learned.

I hate it when someone gives me a rifle they did not care for and then expect me to get it shooting again. I was given a rifle in terrible shape. I lapped the bore, and scrubbed it. To this day, I can not get a white clean patch to come out of it. But the bore is oiled and no rust color comes out of it. The strange thing is, I lowered the powder charge down to 70 grains and it is a good shooter.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Spike

Thanks guys. I ran a brush down it yesterday and I could actually pour the rust out of it. It does not look like there are any riflings left in it at all. I am afraid that it is ruined. I will try some lapping compound on it and see what happens. My 10 year old is upset because he wanted to use it but maybe not. I even made a youth stock for him out of the old stock before I knew it was messed up. I have a thompson center White Mountain carbine that he can use. He shot it last year and did fine with it,but I would like him to shoot a more reliable gun so it does not misfire. Which is usually my fault but is till feel bad for him.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:10 AM

cougariii

If it is that RUSTED up I wouldn't even waste my time on it , And would kinda be uncomfertable shooting it as it may be dammaged more than you can see. Please be carefull .

Old 08-20-2008, 05:55 AM
Spike

I took the gun apart last night and thouroughly cleaned it out with bore cleaner and a brush. It looks like only about a half inch or so at the front of the barrel is pitted really bad. the rest looks ok to me. I called Knight and they told me the same thing that everyone said. Just polish it with something( they said Flitz),and it should be ok. I bought some mothers wheel polish since it was the only thing readily available to me at the time. It looks good and I am sure it will be fine. Thanks for all the help. I apreciate it very much.

Patrick