Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Wolverine

Old 12-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Knight Wolverine

Is the Knight Wolverine a good gun to buy? Is it easy to work?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight Wolverine

The Knight Wolverine is one of the work horses of Knight rifles. They used to come with a standard stock and 22" barrel. Nothing fancy mind you, just top quality parts like a Timney trigger, Green Mountain Barrel and fiber optic sights. They then grew a little and got a longer barrel and a better ignition, but are still basically a work horse rifle for Knight, like the Bighorn.

I have an older Knight Wolverine rifle. It is well balanced, has a great trigger, is not all that bad to clean, and very accurate. If you can get one for a good price, they make all the rifle you would ever need.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

The Knight Wolverine is an excellent entry level ML and they will shoot aswell as the more expensive models.
I've own4of them ( 1,36cal a .45 and 2, 50's)and they are all good shooters. As cayugad mentioned they use to come with timney triggers, but that changed. The last I knew Knight was putting Bold triggers on them, but they were every bit as good as the timney and were almost identical.
The lastWolverine I bought was a .45cal with a S.S barrel that was on sale. It didn't have the thumbhole stock that I wanted, so I called Knight and they took the stock that came with my rifle back and exchanged it for the thumbhole stock. I think it cost me an additional $35.00
The Wolverine's are well made, easy to work on and will last you a life time if properly cared for.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

I've had a stainless 22" LK-93 since 96/97. A great shooter. I shot a sub one inch, four shot group at 100 yards, two months ago (90rs/452. 300grn blk Hornady). I shot a small buck the 29th at an estimated 150 -/+ yards, dead on. I just wish it had a wood stock.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Knights are fine rifles so are several others including TC and I recently pick up an Omega for $160 and thought I had a really good deal till my friend caught the last one they had in the local walmart on sale for $99. They are normal about 359
Old 01-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had 2 buds return these rifles.
A guy Ive hunted with for year bought a Wolverine a few years ago. The spinning safety would not stay in one place. He had the rifle for 2 years and twice tried to pull the trigger after stalking and the mechanism had spun into the safe position so he missed the deer. He sold the rifle for 50 bucks and told the next guy to lock the extra safety open.

My bud bought his dad once for this Xmas and it has the disc feature. He had the disc blow out of the rifle 3 of his 1st 5 shots with only 2 PyrodexPellets 50 grns each. He called Knight and they said it was a prob with a spring or something and that it should correct itself and if it didnt he could purchase a new spring for his rifle. He explained that it was brand new and it still didnt matter. He said their cust service was awful and he decided that instead of a new spring installing a new Thompson Center Omega was the way to go and said he would never recommend or buy anything Knight puts out again.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Duckbutter48 I am not doubting your experiences and observations. I will tell you, I have had to call Knight on two different occasions. Both times they were for basically simple things, but Knight really went over board to make sure that I was a satisfied customer. What I am saying is my experiences with Knight Customer Service have been excellent.

Also I own a Wolverine LK-II. I agree that rear safety can be a pain and if you do not watch it, it will slip far enough up to engage the safety. A simple two cent rubber band fixed that problem. Other then that my rifle is an excellent shooting rifle.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

My first muzzle loader was a Wolverine. The stock is pretty ugly, but the rifle functions and shoots very well.I never had any problems with it. I've still got it for a back up.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:04 PM
bigcountry

I had one since 1997. Wonderful gun. Not the prettiest, not the most high tech, but the only ML you would ever need. Does everything that a encore, omega or disc will do but cheaper.

I sold mine yesterday. I just had to thin the herd. I hated too. But I loaned it to my nieghbor and he killed a buck yesterday and came back wanting to buy. Since I had 3 more ML, and one was a disc elite, I figured why not. I can't say I have killed anymore deer since shooting the disc or the TC encore. But I can't say I killed many more when I upgraded from the sidelock to the wolverine. Even though I did have a misfire with teh sidelock, actually misfires. But everytime was really my fault. I would go to the range shooting 10 times or more and not clean the nipple. Anyway I am drifting. The wolverine is a wonderful bargain.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

He may of just had some badluck the day he called. I wasnt on the phone myself so maybe he had a bad attitude or something like that. I dont think any company can get as big as Knight without having half decent service so thats good to hear they helped you out.
Personally, I just dont get those discs at all. I cant see carrying one more thing in the woods for my muzzleloader. I have enough stuff as it is.