Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BlackHorn 209 again >

BlackHorn 209 again

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BlackHorn 209 again

Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default BlackHorn 209 again

I wanted to shoot four different bullets today with the new Black Horn Powder to see how well they behaved. I used the Knight Disc Rifle because it is such an accurate rifle. It was hot out today, in the low 80's and a terrible cross wind, so I was a little worried about how the wind was going to play into all of this. We have a thunder storm headed in so I knew I had to shoot fast.

I started with Shockwaves. 300 grain in the sabot they supplied. For reasons I have yet to figure, that heavy bullet shot high. I was aiming dead center on the X and the group while under 2 inches was high. At no time was I swabbing the barrel. This powder could get real addictive. As I HATE TO SWAB a muzzleloader.

Then I tried some Hornady .430 diameter 300 grain XTP's in crushed rib sabots. As I expected, since the rifle is sighted in for 75 yards, they hit low and just a little off center but not much.

The shocker of the day was the 10mm 200 grain Hornady XTP's in blue MMP sabots. While they hit furthest left of all, I attribute that to the cross wind. They held an excellent group. Also I tested these on a head of lettuce. It was a science experiment in the lower drawer of the refrigerator that got away from me. So I put that out there. These little 200 grain XTP's would blow huge chunks from that head of lettuce and send it flying. I shot the thing four times until there was nothing left but bad salad.

The last bullets I shot were the Speer Gold Dot Hollow Points in .452 in 250 grain. This time, guessing the wind was going to effect them I aimed to the right of the X on the edge of the yellow tape. These shot very well.

This powder is amazing. It shoots very consistent, clean up is very easy, the breech plug comes back out as if you never shot... I almost wonder if I could shoot this stuff without greasing the plug.

If you have a rifle that can shoot this stuff, and you come across it.. (semisane) you really owe it to yourself to try this powder. I would be very interested in your thoughts on this stuff after you shoot it. The only real bite from this stuff is the cost and it is hard to find right now. Other then that, this is the REAL DEAL!!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BlackHorn 209 again

Do you almost feel like you re cheating abit[:-]. Im using the BH209 & will continue to but Ive never considered myself a diehard muzzleloader. Its just 2 more weeks I get to hunt with a gun (I know I shouldnt say that on a ML forum) Nice to see the .40 cal xtps shoot good over 100 grains. Thanks for the report. My next range will be with the .40 cal gold dots & maybe some .40 cal SSTs

With that being said, Ive shot this Omega X7 more than any gun this year[:@]
Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

"science experiment"

Good shooting Dave! You are going to make me break down and buy some.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Cheating? Not really. It is still a muzzleloader. You still pour the powder down the barrel, etc. Just like any other muzzleloader. The same was said with the smokeless rifles. Many people feel they have an advantage. Well other then they do not have to swab, they still load like a muzzleloader. When people complain the rifles are too accurate, I think that has more to do with the way the firearm is made and the way the shooter handles the firearm. Although the powder is a factor.

So while this powder seems to have excellent power and you do not have to swab, it still loads like a muzzleloader and fires like one. What's the old saying, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
Old 08-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Its a duck for sure
Old 08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

"What's the old saying, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..."

.....Then it must be an animatronic, servo controled, supercomputing, supersonic bastardization of a duck that should be banned from the duck pond. [:-]

No really, I agree with you Dave.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice shooting.

I am breaking down a little on buying it. may have to take my wife cloths shopping
Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Careful Corey.. this powder does not work in sidelocks and it does take a 209 primer to ignite it. So before you purchase it, be sure you can shoot it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one 209 rifle. the apex I bought off FG.

won't even think of buying it if I did not have one.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Cayugad, why don't `ya go back out with that gun and shoot the same bullets with 100 grains T7. Yeah, I know - `ya gotta swab. But it sure would be an interesting comparison.

Quick Reply: BlackHorn 209 again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.