Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tru Glo or Williams? >

Tru Glo or Williams?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tru Glo or Williams?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tru Glo or Williams?

I plan on putting a peep sight on my KRB in the next couple weeks. I was all set on the Tru Glo ML globe sight system (I think that's what they call it, you can see it here: http://www.truglo.com/content/products/firearm/muzzleloader/muzzle_brite.asp It's the second one down on the right side.)
What I'm not sure about is if this will have the same benefits as a regular peep sight? I'm also considering a Williams of some sort if the truglo won't work.
Thanks for the help.

Vince
Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Spike

Default RE: Tru Glo or Williams?

I tried it and it worked ok, but I liked the smaller peep better, SO I kept the front globe sight and put a williams peep on the rear! Best of both worlds. Either way, it is almost like looking through a scope because you line the two circles up.

The things I like about the front sight is it brightness in low light and it has a smaller bead than most front posts.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on your main interestif ite for hunting think of it in terms of twilight when you want all the light you can get and nothing bright enough to keep you from seeing the target. If it is for target shooting in brught day light then you want to size down for smaller groups. Lee
Old 08-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Williams Peep on one of my traditional rifles. It is a great peep sight. On the range on a bright sunny day itis hard to beat a peep sight. BUT I will be honest, peeps are not my favorite sight. They used to work fine when I hunted open field type areas, but since I moved my hunting into the woods where shadows can play havoc on shapes and outlines, I found the peep not the best choice.

Like already said, depending on where you hunt go by the size. Open field areas, then go to a smaller peep. More closed areas, the you need to get that rear sight bigger to help fight the shadows.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replys. This year, and probably for several years to come, I will be hunting woods, so I will probably stick with the Tru Glo. That said, does anyone know if I decide to throw a scope back on it next spring, will it fit with that sight set-up or will the sights have to be removed? I have low rings for my scope if that makes a difference.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Williams also sells a "hunting peep" that can simply screwed in to the stock one they sell. I bought one straight from Williams for about $10. It has a lot larger appeture so I like it for hunting