Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I tooked a beating on my last range session >

I tooked a beating on my last range session

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I tooked a beating on my last range session

Old 08-03-2008, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I tooked a beating on my last range session

I have a bad right shoulder, it was sore as hell. mainly from carrying crap from my truck to the table.

back was sore from using a bag rest.

had a blood blister on my right elbow from where it rubbing on the table. bubbled up to the size of a dime

but it was well worth it for a result like this.

yes I do like this target.
350gr fpb with 75grs of triple 7 2f at 50yrds with a knight usak

Old 08-03-2008, 01:57 AM

Default RE: I tooked a beating on my last range session

Dang Corey, sounds like you need a caddy AND someone to shoot your gun for you!

Der's a reward fer dat guy!!! Mite be nuff ta git ya coupla mo gunz 2!!!!

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/laden.htm

Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I tooked a beating on my last range session

Actually the pains you describe can have a very adverse effect on accuracy. Anything that alters the way you hold, squeeze, or address a rifle can change what happens down range. So you did well to over come all of this.

I was talking about rifle address with a friend of mine who shoot competition rifles in tournaments. Also I noticed the stock of his competition rifle had aslight indent right where my cheek met the stock. Nothing major mind you. But I could notice it. He said, did you ever notice how the tournament shooters set their cheek to a rifle and a lot of times will kind of rub around on it. He said, they are looking for that special spot. Of course over time and practice, it starts to become more natural he said. Hethen told me a trick for maintaining head position when you address the rifle. Normally you can do this yourself, but two people make it easier.

Set the rifle in the shooting bench and actually hunker down and get comfortable, just like you were going to shoot. Have the scope or sights the way you want them, and your eyes relaxed, never squint like some people do. Make sure of your grip, etc. Then mark, or have someone mark where the center of your cheek meets the stock of the rifle. At this point, place a simple band-aid on the stock of the rifle. Then every time you shoot that rifle, make sure the center of your cheek feels that band-aid in the same spot. Match the grip and you will notice that when you look over the sights or through the scope, everything seems perfect.

Try that next time and see what happens to your groups.