Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC or Lyman?

Old 03-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Spike

Default TC or Lyman?

I' m considering buying a muzzleloader for the first time. Been kicking around the idea for a couple years but never acted on it. I kinda like TC' s Black Mountain Magnum, but then I spotted a Firestorm by TC and felt this could be a good choice, too.

I approached a friend at work and asked his opinion. He stated although TC makes a good ml, he strongly suggested a Lyman. Lyman Plains Hunter I believe. I understand they' re a little more money, but I' d like to ask the opinion of some of the experts here. I' ll probably keep my choices between these 2-3 models unless something else grabs my attention. Any advantages/disadvantages with these guns- especially for a novice? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: TC or Lyman?

If you are talking about the Lyman Great Plains rifle, or the Lyman Great Plains Hunter (which is the same rifle with a faster twist for shooting conicals or sabots), I prefer them to any TC. However, the TC' s are just as good, but I prefer a sidehammer rifle that is closer to the original Hawken in style. The Lyman is this one!
Old 03-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

TC and Lyman are both great quality guns. Both will shoot well. My preference is a Lyman. Myself, I like the deerstalker...but the great plains is a great gun also. Check midsouth...I think they are about as cheap as you can find for Lyman.

I would recommend Knight if you' re looking at an inline. Great guns!
Old 03-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Spike

I own both a T/C New Englander, and a Lyman Trade Rifle in flint. both are 54, 1:48. The T/C is great in fit and finish, and first rate on the gurantee!! Hseveral things done to it-the warrantee work was done no-charge, no questions asked. The custom shop work is first rate!!! The lyman is a quality peice in heft, point and balance. haven' t worked up a decdent load yet, but going to a roundball this spring( if it ever comes).
You wound do well with either one. right now, the t/c gets the nod, as it sees more field use than anything else i own.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can get a new Lyman for $300. THat' s a lot less than a new T/C. THere are a lot of good used ones out there if you look.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:46 PM

My vote would be the Lyman - I have the great plains hunter in a .54 and love it. I' ve seen, handled or owned a lot of other traditional style MLs, and for an off the shelf gun, the Lyman was by far my favorite.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

First off, Lyman is a great rifle. Very original in looks, and well made. I have considered getting a GPR with the 1-60 twist in a .54 caliber myself.

If this was my first rifle, and might be a primary rifle, I would go with the T/C rifle, but it would be the Hawkins model. I would take a .54 caliber, and with the 1-48 twist could shoot the round ball or the conical.

I am not one that feels the need to get into the 150 grain rifles. My T/C Renegade will handle 110 grains, and believe me I never shoot that as a hunting load. I shoot around 90 grains, and it has done everything I have asked. The Black Mountain is a 1-28 twist which limits you to conicals and sabots for the most part. Well I like to shoot, and round balls cheaper for shooting and are fine for hunting as you will find out.

The Firestorm is a 1-48 twist but is a flinter if I remember right. I am not into flint locks. It takes people with a special skill to keep them tuned, and my hat is off to those that can. I can not. The T/C Hawkins in percussion is a good shooting hard hitting dependable rifle, that if taken care of would last a life time. I prefer the .54 caliber to the .50. That is just me although I own a .50 caliber also. T/C has a great warranty and they stand behind their products. I am sure Lyman does too, but I like the T/C better. Both are good rifles.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Both T/C and Lyman are great guns.I' ve never owned a Lyman but has seen them shot many times.The reason I would lean towards T/C is their warranty.T/C will take care of any problems in a very timely manor.I have an OLD Renegade.A couple years ago I noticed the stock had cracked.I was asked to send the stripped down stock to them. In about 10 days I had a completely new rifle less the barrel and ram rod,I had other dealings with T/C and I would say they are second to none.
Ruger Redhawk