Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Lyman M die

Old 11-27-2005, 02:46 PM
bigcountry

Default Lyman M die

Got my new lyman m die. Looks just like a expander or flair die I have from RCBS. I was hoping for a little difference.

Old 11-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lyman M die

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Got my new lyman m die. Looks just like a expander or flair die I have from RCBS. I was hoping for a little difference.
Since it is designed to perform the exact same task, what kind of a difference were you hoping for??
Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, it comes in an orange box, now there's a difference.[8D]
Old 11-29-2005, 06:00 AM
bigcountry

Ok, are these trick questions? Elde, you crack me up

They advertise that it will make a 2 step expansion for easier loadings of lead. The first ring that does the first expansion isn't much, the second one that does the main expansion looks just like a RCBS expander/flair die.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

They advertise that it will make a 2 step expansion for easier loadings of lead. The first ring that does the first expansion isn't much, the second one that does the main expansion looks just like a RCBS expander/flair die.
so you got this for your 45-70?? Im guessing?? is this die to aleviate scraping the bullet with the case? help me out havent heard of em. can you use them with bottleneck cartridges, or would neck tension suffer?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only use them on bottle neck cartridges. It sort of steps out the front edge of the case mouth a few thou, keeps it from shaving lead off the bullet, I use them for flat based jacketed bullets too. I haven't used them for pistol cartridges as the standard case mouth belling die does an adequate job by itself. A good way to use them if you are FL resizing, is to use a universal decapping die, then remove the expander ball from the resizing die and use an M die to reexpand the neck- you eliminate the possibility of uneven neck stretching that you can get from pulling an expander ball out of the neck.