Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Conicals

Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting Conicals

Got a response from Knight today and they are sending a lower front sight out tomorrow for me to try. If that does not work they are going to have me ship the rifle back to them to check things out.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting Conicals

Can't beat their service, IMO.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shooting Conicals "Update"

Well I installed the lower front sight that Knight sent out to me. I received the wads from TOTW so I decided to go out and see how things came out. Below is the target of which I shot 8 times total.

The first shoot I just picked a stick out that was down range that was to the side of the target. As you can see that was a bad idea as all the rocks/sand shot through my target and put little holes in it.

Anyway I numbered the shots in the order I took them. I started the sight out at 3/4 high according to the set marks on the side of it. The first shot barely hit the bottom of the box at 50 yards. So I moved it to the upper most mark and took shots 2 and 3. They grouped very well so I decided to move the sight up pas the marks and lock it in place. I then took shots 4 and 5 and seen that I was getting closer. So I left everything the same and took shots 6 and 7.

This is a group at 50 yards open sights with the 460gr No Excuses with a .125" 0.510 dry wad and 90gr T7 fffg. I am going to send this information to Knight and see what they say.

Picture of where sight is at from last 4 shots.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the Target picture

Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wheatley

I am not sure that the .503 No Excuses are a tight enough fit in a Knight bore.

I have four conicals sitting here in front of me that I ran through my Knight DE. The two .503's (one a No-Excuse and one Bull Shop) the .503 Bull shop shows a deeper land mark than the .503 No excuse. Niether one of them are deep enough for me. I would think both of them might loose pressure.

The .504 Bull Shops fit really well.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously not low enough. I would go for a higher rear insert.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone have any bull shop 0.504 conicals I could try to see if that is the problem? I don't want to send my rifle to knight if I don't need to. Is there any other conicals that I can buy right now that would be a little larger in diameter?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it has been suggested to wrap conicals like No excuses with teflon tape to increase diameter and help seal them better. Haven't tried it, but it makes sense.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think that is your problem anyway, Wheatley. I'll still suggest you contact Williams, maybe show them the above pics, and see what they recommend. Your fix will probably cost less than $10 total and that would beat sending the rifle back to Knight.

Three different bullet weights from my KP1 (using scope). These bullets varied in sizing from .503 (BS with GC) to .504. All shotatop 70 grains Swiss. Notice there isn't much vertical difference in impact point for any of those threebullets. I'm sure I was getting good seal with all of them.Different bullets aren't going to get you there (unless you go down to 300 grains or less).
Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try a paper patched 500 S&W bullet. Mine shoot great! Ron

Quick Reply: Shooting Conicals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.