Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what bullet do u use >

what bullet do u use

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what bullet do u use

Old 07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what bullet do u use

Ok, the dead center on the left was actually shot through the front shoulder on its way in. It held together really well. I actually shot it through the shoulder as a test of how it would hold together and it didn't disappoint.

One more thing, these are only 220 grain bullets pushed with 80 grains of 777. I'm not sure, but I bet the 300 grain or larger bullets would have a longer shank and still retain all of their weight. If I was hunting larger game, I would shoot a significantly larger bullet.

I appreciate the "back and forth" on this subject. There are a lot of opinions and personal experiences. Hopefully we can all gain something from this. Take care, Greg
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

What's interesting is this guy asks a question, gives no details and here we take off on a tangent without knowing any more...

Heck, he might be shooting a 1862 Springfield...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

and here we take off on a tangent without knowing any more...
Yeah, but we have fun doing it! And we're darn good at tangents.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM

Here are those pictures of the 340g cheap shot i fired with 75g pyrodex p and recovered from my 100 yard sandbox,

Corey, Your 212g wadcutter is there too. Pretty much just rounded the nose.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK...I'll "play"...

I've tried about 8 different bullets in my Knigh Disc...Two came out on top based on both accuracy and terminal damage to deer...
The Branes 300gr MZ copper and the 250 T/C Shockwave...I have killed several deer with each and could use either...The Shockwave
shoots flatter than the Barnes, but doesn't mushroom as well, so exit holes are smaller...I settled on the Shockwaves because I do hunt
soybean fields, if I need to drop them, I take a high shoulder shot so no tracking is needed...If my shots were within 125yards, I'd go
back to the Barnes...

In my flintlocks, I shoot .530 and .390 round balls that I cast myself...I learned years ago that the .530s will not only pancake but also
the edges will roll back like those Cheap Shots in the previous posts on lung shot deer...I dropped from 120 to 100 and then 80grs of
Goex FFF and don't have that effect as much anymore (depending upon range and where I hit them)...With an all lead bullet, you can
push it too fast...