Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Help me pick an inline.... >

Help me pick an inline....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Help me pick an inline....

Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 AM
Spike

Default Help me pick an inline....

Well I realized that for the price of an ROA I could get a nice inline muzzleloader and be on my way to putting a nice scope on it. I think I'll do that first

I know diddly-squat about muzzleloaders.

I have been looking at the Triumph and like the idea of it's Weatherguard as I live in Oregon (rain) however I am hearing initial doubts on it's effectiveness. The Triumph doesn't appear to be offered with a SS barrel. I also hear that water can pool up where the primer is?

I have also been looking at this one here, and would like to hear some feedback on it. Particularly if I am losing anything worth speaking of going with the shorter 24 inch barrel.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R70103501

I'll probably pick one of these up down the road, as it complies with Oregon's strict muzzleloader season regulations. The other gun would be set-up with a scope, and used year around.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R74103150
Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 AM

Default RE: Help me pick an inline....

Butcher45

Not up to date on Oregons laws but this would be my choise of guns , Knight Disc Extreme Totaly weather proof and It will shoot both Saboted bullets and Conicals with great ACCURacy. I have 2 of the Extremes 1 45cal & 1 50cal and when I shoulder them it feels like I am shouldering a nice High powerd rifle.

Ron
Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Spike

Oh it's got to be a break-action for sure. No bolts for me. Break actions are much easier on the eyes IMO, and look like they are going 1000 miles an hour just sitting there.

The Pursuit LT West is looking like it should be my first so I can use it for all seasons here in Oregon. The price is right thats for sure, and I bet there is one right down the road from me I can put on lay-away until I come up with the extra scratch to take it home.

Oregon's muzzleloader laws are just about as traditional as they can possibly be.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would recommend a Triumph and Black Horn 209, If you want to shoot sabots Shock Waves will work well or any of the good but expensive all copper bullets ,I personally use 250 gr Gold Dots for deer size If you need to use conicals the new Hornady FPBshoots a minute of angle out of mine. A lot depends on what you prefer if you like a light weight very high quality a TC is good Knight is also a very accurate shooter and good quality if you like a heavy rifle you might want a Knight, I used to recommend the Savage for people where smokeless is legal and they want it but BH209 has changed that I don't believe smokeless has enough advantage to make up for the heavy awkward bolt action and short barrel. I realize that these are more expensive than some, but there are some I give lots of room to on the range, some times you get what you pay for muzzle loading is not as well regulated as center fires and some are not proof tested at all and some only to very low standards. Lee
Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Well if you want a break action I would agree 100% with Lee go with a TC Triumph I do not own one but have read alot of great reports on them and TC customer service is top notch to boot.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:59 AM

If you want to spend $350 on an inline, check out the new CVA Accura with camo stock and Stainless steel barrel.

The traditions you are looking at has a nickle barrel, Not SS.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...41%20%32%30%39

If you have to have an ignition source exposed to the weather, You're just better off with a traditional sidelock. Or the Winchester X-150. I had one and that sucker was awesome with conicals and the small assortment of sabots i tried.

midsouth doesnt have squat for pictures so heres the accura: www.cva.com

Old 07-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Butcher, you do realize neither of those Traditions have stainless barrels?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

If you want to spend $350 on an inline, check out the new CVA Accura with camo stock and Stainless steel barrel.

The traditions you are looking at has a nickle barrel, Not SS.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=%4D%55%5A%5A%4C%45%4C%4F%41%44 %49%4E%47&dept2=%4D%55%5A%5A%4C%45%4C%4F%41%44 %49%4E%47%20%52%49%46%4C%45%53&dept3=%35%30%20 %43%41%4C&dept4=%43%56%41%20%41%43%43%55%52%41 %20%32%30%39

I second the suggestion for the CVA Accura. It is one of the new CVA rifles with a Bergara barrel. Just a thought; I seem to remember that Oregon did not allow closed breech rifles; did they change the laws??? I could not find my list of state requirements so I had to rely on memory; Bad idea when you are this old.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

“Muzzleloader”
is any single barreled
(shotguns may be double barreled)
long gun meant to be fired from the
shoulder and loaded from the muzzle
with an open ignition system and open
or peep sights. This definition applies to
muzzleloader-only seasons and 641B,
644A1, 644A2, 644A3, 644T1, 649B and
652T2 and includes: open ignition in-line
percussion; sidelock, under-hammer,
top-hammer, and mule ear percussion;
sidelock flintlock and wheelock ignition
systems. Matchlock ignition systems are
not allowed.

above is from last year's big game regulations in Oregon. Maybe your memory isn't so bad, Keith?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BUTCHER45

Well I realized that for the price of an ROA I could get a nice inline muzzleloader and be on my way to putting a nice scope on it. I think I'll do that first

I know diddly-squat about muzzleloaders.

I have been looking at the Triumph and like the idea of it's Weatherguard as I live in Oregon (rain) however I am hearing initial doubts on it's effectiveness. The Triumph doesn't appear to be offered with a SS barrel. I also hear that water can pool up where the primer is?

I have also been looking at this one here, and would like to hear some feedback on it. Particularly if I am losing anything worth speaking of going with the shorter 24 inch barrel.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R70103501

I'll probably pick one of these up down the road, as it complies with Oregon's strict muzzleloader season regulations. The other gun would be set-up with a scope, and used year around.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R74103150
I had a pursuit pro and loved it but bought a TC encore just becuase i always wanted one . My Pursuit was a nail driver and i have yet to get my Encore to shoot as tight of groups , almost but not yet . I realy like the wood stock and i also feel the pursuit is one of the best looking muzzleloaders out there . I also uhave 4 other friends shooting the XLT . They have had no problems with them and they are all shooting great and very acurate . They are all using 90 -95 grains pyrodex powder , 300 grain xtp with black sabots and klean bore primers . Can't go wrong with them , but there are a lot of good guns to choose from and i would get the one that feels the best and is in your price range . The only gun we have had that would not get ood groups is my son CVA Optima .

Quick Reply: Help me pick an inline....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.