Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bonanza!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bonanza!!!

Can'tget to the rifle range again this week-end. Have to do SOMETHING gun related, so I figured I would cast some .45 bulletsfor the LRH Renegade with my twenty year old Lee 45-405 mold. Calledthe brother of one of our hunting club members who's aroofer, and asked him if he had any old leadroof jacks available. He says "I just gave awaywhat I had last month, but you can have what I picked up since then - but its only about 80 lbs."

BONANZA!!!

I got so enthusiastic that I Immediately jumped on the old computer and put in a Midway order for:

ItemID Qty Price Description
-------- ---- ------- -----------------------------------
186608 1 $19.79 Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 457-340 Flat Nose
444306 1 $13.79 Lee Lube and Size Kit 451 Diameter

DANG SHIPPING WAS $10, but with 80 lbs. of free lead, I guess I can live with it.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bonanza!!!

MMmmmmmmm.....80 lbs of free lead......

Old 07-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

That is a great find. That roofing lead is pretty good stuff...
Old 07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Wheel weights. The softest (and least expensive) lead-tin-antimony alloy is wheel weights. Wheel weights are reasonably consistent and are the favorite alloy of many modern reloaders. They produce an alloy that casts well. Some bullet casters add tin to improve the fluidity of the melt and increase the hardness. I have cast bullets from wheel weights with one percent added tin, and I have added soft lead to reduce the hardness of bullets. The added tin did not improve the quality of the bullets. Adding soft lead greatly reduced the quality; many of the bullets did not fill out completely. I use straight wheel weights to cast the bullets for my percussion Sharps carbine and rifle, for 45 Colt bullets, and for bullets for a cap and ball revolver.
Wheel weights can be purchased at a very low price from tire stores, or they may give them away. Unfortunately, they come mixed with dirt and other junk. If you cast bullets with wheel weights, melt the wheel weights outside the home, unless you don't mind moving out of your house for a day or two afterwards. Remove all of the dirt and debris from the melting pot that you can and cast the metal into ingots for later use. Use a fluxing preparation as you melt the weights to reduce the need to flux while you are casting bullets. (See Section 7). When you melt the ingots later for casting bullets, they will produce almost no smell.

************************************************** ******************************
No. 2 alloy. Many casters of bullets for modern and black powder firearms use No. 2 alloy. It was originally a mixture of 90 percent lead plus five percent tin and five percent antimony. Today, an equivalent alloy (producing the same hardness bullet) will have more antimony than tin. For several years, I purchased (at considerable expense) No. 2 alloy from a reloading shop and used it for the bullets for my breech-loading firearms. Eventually, I found No. 2 alloy had no advantage (other than convenience) over wheel weights. (Too soon old; too late smart.)
************************************************** *********************************

Linotype alloy. The hardest of the alloys described here is linotype alloy. For many years, linotype alloy was purchased by reloaders in the form of scrap linotype and made excellent bullets for modern cartridges. The linotype alloy had enough tin to help cast bullets that otherwise would not cast well (very long bullets). But linotype is about as common as a 1950 Ford today. Nevertheless, some bullet casters still buy linotype lead or an equivalent alloy. It probably is harder than required in black powder firearms, but some black powder shooters use it with good success.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also gotlucky with free lead. A friend ofminehas a contractat a local hospital and has a large quantiy of sheetlead. He got itfrom a radiology lab. And I endedup with a few hundred lbs. of the stuff. it is so easy towork with. You just have to cut itupin small sections andwallah. I told him if hecomes byany more to let me know.