Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Bonanza/Forster Co-AX press >

Bonanza/Forster Co-AX press

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Bonanza/Forster Co-AX press

Old 04-26-2004, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bonanza/Forster Co-AX press

Who has one and how do they like it? What was your previous brand of press? Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 08:22 AM
DM

Default RE: Bonanza/Forster Co-AX press

Over the years i've owned and used many press', includeing Lyman, Lee, RCBS and several others. But, once i bought a co-ax, i was sold on it! I liked it so much i bought a second one to use when "the first was worn out"! Thing is, "i never wore the first one out", and it's easily loaded over 50,000 rounds to date. The new one i bought,is still new, and never has been used.

Likes: I like the way i can mount it into the bench, instead of just on the edge. I also like the way it catches all the primers, and primer dirt in a container below the bench. I like the way the dies "float" and also the auto shell holder. It loads very accurate ammo!!

Dislikes: Some custom forming dies won't work with this press. It doesn't have quite the compound leverage a "rockchucker" has. You still may have to change shell holders, but (2) will cover 99% of cartridges.

I still like my co-ax better than any other single stage press i've used to date.

Drilling Man
Old 04-28-2004, 05:55 AM

I like my Reloader Special 5 from RCBS I have loaded many, many accurate rounds with it over the years. However, it doesn't get used as much as it used to since I got a Bonanza/Forster Co-Ax press.

Changing dies on the Co-Ax is easier then changing the batteries in my mouse, the universal shell holder covers everything I load for, spent primers are contained nice and neat, no chance of one popping out onto the floor. The primer assmbly can be adjusted to hold any case and seating depth is adjustable. Case sizing and bullet seating is smooth and positive.

This press is just a pleasure to use and the only thing I need for mine is the short throw handle.

Wes
Old 04-28-2004, 06:15 PM

I've literally used nearly every reloading press available in the last 30 years. What do I use now? The new Lee Classic Cast press. It handles all loading tasks better than any other I've used, including priming. Is the CoAx a good press? Yes, it is. Is it needed to load for top accuracy? No way. Most benchresters use hand dies anyway. If you load with a press, use the one that is most convenient. To me the CoAx is not as convenient as several others and costs a heck of a lot more.
I look for a few features
1)strength ( a reloading press needn't be as strong as some might expect)
2) alignment
3)good priming and catching all the spent primers
4)ease of use
The Lee Classic Cast fills the bill better than anything I've used yet. That includes the CoAx, RockChucker, Orange Crusher, Boss and 007, and many, many others. You can spend $200 on a press if it makes you feel better, but you're not getting a thing. I'll stack my loads up against anyone's loaded with ANY press. There's a lot of BS being put out about reloading presses in advertising and forums. Don't believe it, use your own head and choose wisely. If you've got the $200 to waste and like the CoAx then go for it.
If you want the full story on the Lee press go to:
Bob Channell's Website for a full review.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:24 PM

Been using one since 1968. Works as smooth now as it did back then. Had plenty of cartridges run thru it, as I used to reload for the local Sherrif's dept. back when revolvers were carried as much as autos. Probably run 30,000 .38 rounds thru it before most switched to autos. I still load .38-.357 and 30-30, .35 Rem. and .35 Whelen. A die change is all it takes.

Russ
Old 05-01-2004, 07:17 PM

I chased case runout for years until I started using a CO-AX press & Forster dies.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:23 AM

I'll stack the alignment of my Lee Classic Cast (or for that matter most quality presses, such as Rock Chucker, Boss, 007 etc) against any CoAX using the same dies. I bet you couldn't tell the difference. It's all mindset, we believe the advertising. You may have gotten a press out of alignment, it happens. But, overall, quality presses are built to plenty high standards. My ONLY axe to grind in this is that most presses can be had for MUCH less than the CoAx. As I said before, buy what you want. The CoAx is a fine press, but it's not the holy grail that they would have you believe. Much more convenient presses can be had for less than half the cost of the CoAx. If it makes you feel better thinking your rounds are more accurate with the CoAx, then that alone will help your shooting. Confidence in your equipment and gun are big assets when shooting. But, I bet I could load ammo on a CoAx and my Lee press and no one would know the difference, if they weren't told.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:36 AM

Dear DM,
Boy you took the words out of my mouth. I bought my first Coax used in a garage sale for 20.00 back in 1971. Ugly black press that FLAT WORKS!! Figured I`d wear the thing out so now I have a brand new[red] Bonanza under the bench waiting. It`ll havce to keep waiting. Luckily I bought it in 82-83 so I can sell it at todays cost and make a few. I` think I`ll just pass it on to my grandkid. Hell, he`ll probably end up using the ugly black one as it won`t quit.

Aloha, Mark
Old 05-03-2004, 06:21 PM
DM

I guess you could say case runout is all hype if YOU want to, but many years ago when i was hanging out with brench rest shooters, (who broke the national record at that time, "several times" i might add) and several of them loaded with a Bonanze press' and BR dies after seeing what they turned out!!! BTW, all of us had hand dies also.

The fact that i had a couple Rock Chuckers that were out of alinement is what got me hunting for a more accurate press in the first place!!!

I sold about every brand in my shop those days, and i never had anyone return a Bonanza press, or set of dies for any reason, can't say that about other brands though.

Drilling Man
Old 05-04-2004, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Watching one of these documentaries on the Discovery Channel or History Channel not sure which about Snipers. They showed where handloads were being assembled and they were using a CO-AX press didn't see any other brands for what that's worth . I am interested in it primarily because the dies snap in and out easily. I will be loading for three calibers and that should be a time saver as well . I like the way the press bolts to the table with 4 bolts and if I ever get tired of reloading it will have great resale value.

Quick Reply: Bonanza/Forster Co-AX press

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.