Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maxi-hunters

Old 07-11-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Maxi-hunters

I've got a TC Omega. Last year I used TC Mag-express sabots. they were great for accuracy but I hate the way they load. Almost had to pound them down the barrel. My wife (who hunted with me for the first time last year) ikes the shock waves but those are even harder to load.

I had used Buffalo ball-ets in the past with a CVA & liked the accuracy but LOVED the way they loaded. I tried to use them in my Omega & they wouldn't group worth a crap.

I was thinking about using either Buffalo bullets(conicals) or Maxi-hunters. I really like how the lubed bullets load.

Anyone have any experience with either of these out of an Omega? Powder charge (I use 777)? etc?

thanks
Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maxi-hunters

ORIGINAL: finity

I've got a TC Omega. Last year I used TC Mag-express sabots. they were great for accuracy but I hate the way they load. Almost had to pound them down the barrel. My wife (who hunted with me for the first time last year) ikes the shock waves but those are even harder to load.

I had used Buffalo ball-ets in the past with a CVA & liked the accuracy but LOVED the way they loaded. I tried to use them in my Omega & they wouldn't group worth a crap.

I was thinking about using either Buffalo bullets(conicals) or Maxi-hunters. I really like how the lubed bullets load.

Anyone have any experience with either of these out of an Omega? Powder charge (I use 777)? etc?

thanks
Your going to get a lot more accuracy with sabots at extended range. Switch your sabot to an MMP 3petal EZ or a Harvester Crushed Rib on your TC Mag-Express. Also in the Omega Manual (I have an Omega) it says on page 60 that you have to swab between shots for best accuracy and easier loading. I swab with a 50% mixture of windshield washer fluid and rubbing alcohol.
Chap Gleason

Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A fair amount of Omegas will not shoot conicals well, with the exception of possibly powerbelts. You certainly can try some, but I spent 4 years trying before giving up. If you want to try, I would suggest starting at 80-90 grains as lower charges seem to group better.

One trick that I have not tried yet is to cut the cup off at the base of the sabot plastic and put it as a "wad" under the bullet. Then it might act like a powerbelt and shoot decently. Otherwise, cutting off the QLA may be the only way to get it to shoot them better.

If you can legally shoot sabots and they are accurate, I would simply try and find some that are not as hard to get down the barrel. Having not ever shot sabots, I can't help you there.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need to get in touch with MMP and get thinner sabots...
There is no standard for bore diameter in ml rifles, so you have to make adjustments in the thickness of the sabot that you use in each gun...There is nothing wrong with the SST/Shockwaves, you just need to experiment with different sabots...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Spike

Finity,
Consider Hornady's 250g SSTs w/Low Drag sabots. http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?q...=az&p=3419
Worked wonders for my CVA Wolf. Loaded as easy as using MMP's 3-petal sabots.
Would try 100-120gr T7. Good Luck!
James
Old 07-11-2008, 08:46 PM

I just got my omega last week and am shooting right now 370g maxi balls. Im not a fan at all of the performance on game from the maxiball, the maxihunter i never shot at game.

1 3/8" groups @ 100 yards which is more than respectable but i am going to be using powerbelts as always. No clue how they will shoot but it should do really well.

Dont go over 80 grains with the maxi hunters. TC has some seriously shallow rifling and i think the groups would open up a lot with more powder.

Powerbelts are also one of your choices to give a go with. No fumbling around with trying to put the bullet back in the sabot. No messy lube which really gets your blood pumping when you accidently knock over the box of conicals.

i'd suggest the 295 aerotip powerbelt with 80 grains triple 7 if you go that route.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

A fair amount of Omegas will not shoot conicals well, with the exception of possibly powerbelts. You certainly can try some, but I spent 4 years trying before giving up. If you want to try, I would suggest starting at 80-90 grains as lower charges seem to group better.

One trick that I have not tried yet is to cut the cup off at the base of the sabot plastic and put it as a "wad" under the bullet. Then it might act like a powerbelt and shoot decently. Otherwise, cutting off the QLA may be the only way to get it to shoot them better.

If you can legally shoot sabots and they are accurate, I would simply try and find some that are not as hard to get down the barrel. Having not ever shot sabots, I can't help you there.
I actually remember reading somewhere that the Omega would not shoot cononicals, but then I looked in my manual and it said they would.I don't think it was designed for shooting conicals. Maybe a wad or corn meal would be the best between the bullet and charge, if ya just had to shoot them (Colorado, Idaho, etc). Sabot would be better. Chap Gleason
Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as saying they would shoot conicals, it depends on when you bought yours. When they first came out, they did say shoots sabots and conicals, but then the whole deal of the QLA causing problems with conicals came out and since then, they just state on their website that they are sabot shooters. And if you call them, that is what they will tell you.

As stated, you might get lucky and get one that will, because my brother and I both got identical guns on the same day, and his will shoot conicals ok, but mine won't .

It is certainly worth a shot to see if the gun will shoot them, but I would never buy an Omega with the idea that I was going to shoot sabots, because it might never shoot them well.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

In your omega, if the sabots are loading hard get a pack of Harvester Crushed Rib sabots and change out the sabots. Also Omega's can take a good powder charge and hold true. I would load 100 grains and try that combination.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

just got my omega last week and am shooting right now 370g maxi balls. Im not a fan at all of the performance on game from the maxiball, the maxihunter i never shot at game.
im surprised. ive used the 370 maxi ball in my new englander and others for many years. 70 grains of pyrodex and most all deer shot no more than 30-70 yards have been bang flops. the maxi hunters are hollow points and shoot better in the faster twist rifles like the thompson center scouts from what i remember. the maxi hunters shoot o.k. im my 1-48 twist barrels but for the most part the regular maxi balls rule!

Quick Reply: Maxi-hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.