Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 working up a load? >

working up a load?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

working up a load?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: working up a load?

The 410 (not the 385) hornady would also be a good choice if they are accurate.
Discontinued by Hornady. [:@] If you find some, buy all they have.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kirkll

need some help here guys....i got my 370 grain maxi balls going. started at 70 grains at 50 yards and was shooting good enough to get my sights on...but 3" inch groups are not cutting it using a bench rest....i finished off with 3 rounds off hand and was still in the black, but evenly spaced around the edges at 8 - 12 - and 4 oclock...i'm comfortable my sights are are on....But....now what do i do? raise the powder amount 10 grains and see what happens? is there a procedure for "Working up a load"? does too much powder, or not enough show any tell - tale signs?
A few more words:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/working_up_a_load.htm

and toward sabots. Read your owners manual for the desired load and start there or near there, since they tend to shoot pretty good at the manufacturer's recommended load.
Best Wishes,
Chap Gleason
Old 07-10-2008, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Semisane

The 410 (not the 385) hornady would also be a good choice if they are accurate.
Discontinued by Hornady. [:@] If you find some, buy all they have.
that figures....i just bought 4 boxes and have burned up one and part of the other trying to get a decent load grouping for me...i thought i was doing good till i moved back to 50 yards....now i'm second guessing my load again.... this sucks!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: txhunter58

I would think that 70-75 grains of powder would be my very lowest amount for shooting bigs hunks of lead at elk. And I really prefer in the 90 grain area if I can find an accurate load.

I have heard different ideas about what the wad does, but basically I think it protects the bullet from the explosion and helps keep gas from leaking by the bullet before it exits. Seems to tighten groups up in most cases.

If I were in your situation with big elk and less than 100 yards, I would start at 400 grains and go up from there. The 460 grain no excuse bullet can't be beat as far as effective elk medicine. The 410 (not the 385) hornady would also be a good choice if they are accurate.
ok Tx....i'm trying to get these things to fly accurately and followed all the recomendations for "Working up a load" the i get back to 50 yards and the damn groups aren't even groups at all....this is not the shooter here....i'm benched, and i can dhoot well....i stopped at 90 grains and came back to about 75-80 grains and got my best groups at 25 yards.... you think i should try 95 - 100 before changing bullets or powder....i'm using pyrodex RS here....hell, i'm getting frustrated here....
Old 07-11-2008, 12:37 AM

what rifle are you shooting?

What kind of "groups" are you getting with your current load?
Old 07-11-2008, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also like to know what rifle you are shooting. Hopefully not an Omega, which won't reliably shoot conicals. If not, then you may just have to monkey with other bullets and other powders and see what your gun likes. It can be a somewhat long process. Pyrodex is usually an accurate powder, so I would not change that first. Changing the bullet and possibly to another primer might make a difference. If it is an Omega (or any other Thompson center gun with a QLA), then you are probably locked in to trying powerbelts.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

A word of advice from someone who has shot an elk. Go big, lol.

I shot one 450-475 lb cow here in NV in 2005. I hit high and actually broke her back. I expected the bullet should have exited, but it didn't. The range was 75 yards.

The Gun? CVA Bobcat 1:48
The load? 370 GR T/C Maxi Ball; 80 grs Goex 2f.

If I go about it again, (should be able to draw a ML cow elk tag next year), and since I have changed to a 1:28 inline, I will probably stick with a 250-300 grain Sabot, or a bigger conical, and a little more powder, though 80 grains was sufficient, that 75 yards was about what I figured should be the max range with that load.

Later,

Marcial
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM

"The load? 370 GR T/C Maxi Ball; 80 grs Goex 2f."

Dont feel bad, at least you got your elk! I put 1 shot high into the spine area, chased the deer down, put another shot into it, chased it down even more before cutting the things throat. Maxiballs are horrible and i have a hard time just using them on paper.

80g 2f and that 370g conical is more than enough when using other conicals.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:46 AM

First of all i gotta thank Chap here for the link to that article wtitten by Randy Wakeman....i wrote the guy an email telling him i enjoyed his article and asked him his opinion on a few things.....not only did the guy wtite me back quickly, he called me on the phone yesterday afternoon....i'll bet we spent a good 45 minutes on the phone too...this guy was knowlegable, very opinionated on certain things, and had a bit of an attitude going regarding some of the crap they sell folks out there today...it was a great conversation and i think i found the missing link in my inconsistancytrying to get some decent groups going. or at least one of them...

although most of Randy Wakemans experience was leaning heavily towards the newer inline guns, he was helpful with sugestions for my side lock TC Hawken....he told me the 1:48 twist barrel was a compromise TC put out to be able to shoot both round ball, and conicles, but doubted that it would ever be a real tack driver...

my biggest discovery was that i think i got funky powder going here...this bottle of pyrodex i've been shooting with, i opened up in the summer of 04....yep....a 4 year old opened bottle, ANDliving in Oregon...this could very well be a big part of my problem.....needless to say i picked up some fresh stuff and a couple boxes of 385 Honady's to try.....i'm not giving up on the 410's quite yet though...i did find about 6 more boxes available locally.... I too hate those TC Maxi balls.... what a pain in the arse to deal with....that damn lube is either dry and falling off, or turns to snot....i couldn't get them going at all on paper either, but then again i was using funky powder....

i'll let you know how this all pans out this weekend. My wifes out of town and i'm obsessing this weekend on my hunting gear....Kirk
Old 07-12-2008, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I've shot three deer with maxiball and not one of them went more then 30 yards after being hit. I shot them with an old Renegade and 80 grains of powder. I got complete pass through and excellent wound channels. I just can not see why they would not work.

One point, these were casted of soft lead and not store bought...

Quick Reply: working up a load?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.