Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets >

Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets

Old 07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets

LKN Choppers , Maybe it is best to mention a few things that if you are new to inline muzzleloading you need to know.
First. There is no standards set by the gov. or any one esle at this time and different co. have different tolorances some of the cheaper ones can have a barrel from 497 to 505 so they make sabots with different petal thickness so you can find one that fits right and thats what it takes to get accuracy you will need to try several even if you have one of the better brands.
A few examples TC guns often take a MMP_HPH24 or a crush rib the Knights and the whites often take the MMP12 .
Some people try for a good blood trail and some for bang flop, they rarely get 100% of either my personl opinion is the ones who place there shot with presion AND know exactly where they should put it have very few problems; some people dont research so they dont realize the differance in the location of organs in different animals.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

I have killed two does and a coyote with 300 grain Shockwaves. All complete pass throughs. I use two Pyrodex Pellets in my Omega and the accuracy is very good.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had some good luck with the 300 gr. SST. I startedusing it in my Encore and had good results. I haveto say that this is the only bullet that would shoot any kind of groups in that gun, but that is another story.

I use the 300 SST in my NEF .50 now and get great results. I was at the range just yesterday and just having some fun with different bullets. I ended updoing much better with my maxi-hunters then the SST though.

First two shots were touching. I didn't clean the barrel betweenany of these shots.

The first shot was the lower one. The two touching were with a dirty barrel.

I have taken a few deer with the SST and they never went anyfarther then a few yards. It hits them very hard. I have never retrieved any of the bullets so I can't say howthey opened. Because I was just having some fun, I didn't set up the Chrono. I will leavethat for another time.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

This 250 grain SST bullet took this sow at ameasured 192 yards. The charge was 90 grains of JSG. The bullet broke two ribs going in and lodged in the flesh on the off side.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

This small sow as so unlucky as to be killed at 192 yards by a .50 Encore and a 250 grain SST bullet.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the useful information guys.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LKNCHOPPERS

Thanks for the response guys. Keep em coming.
Go the www.cabelas.com and www.midwayusa.com and search for Shockwave on the bullets page. Look at all the product reviews for that product. Also do google searchs for Shockwave bullet performance and shockwave didn't expand or shockware fragmented. Once you do a couple of hours of reading, then search for suggested loads for TC Shockwave. You should look first at your manual, if you own a TC gun, I guarantee it will list the SW as the preferred bullet. They are good, but some believe there are better, I personally believe Nosler Partition, Barnes TMZ, MZ, 45/70 TSX Flat Nose (bullet 45843) and Speer Gold dot are better, because:
they are accurate
they penetrate deeply and retain nearly 100% of weight, never breaking apart
expand well within the cavity causing massive shock
shoot thru for blood trail ontwo sides of animal
shoot any angle that requires the shot (oblique ok)

So that is what your looking for in a bullet, in my opinion. The 300g SW will work well with shoulder shots, no problem, others will work better, again in my opinion only based on my reading and my experience.
Best Wishes on Bullet selection,
Chap Gleason
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Typical Buck

The bullet did little damage to the lungs,and did not expand until it hit the ribs on the off side.It was a quarter to shot and went through the upper portion of both lungs hitting ribs and exiting where the diaphram is attached to the rib cage. I recovered the bullet under the skin. Had the bullet hit bone on entrance it would have been different. As Sabot loader stated,the Nosler 260 partition will expand on meat (as will the Gold Dot and the Barnes Expander.) I am not saying the SST/SW's are not good bullets,too many dead animals to prove otherwise. All I am saying is,that for me ,the Nosler suits me better.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM

I hard had excellent accuracy results with the Low Drag, 250SW and BH209. Every ML’ I got shoots them about 1”moa or less. I think there might be better bullet choices. I have little experience with terminal performance and the 250SW but that was covered in previous posts. Low drags are Hornady SST (who makes the SW fro TC)and I can usually find them for around $13 for 25
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chasam60

As Sabot loader stated,the Nosler 260 partition will expand on meat (as will the Gold Dot and the Barnes Expander.)
Bingo. Folks may want to read this article on Terminal Sectional Density:

http://www.snipersparadise.com/tsmag/July03/july03.htm

http://www.the-gleasons.com/TSD%20Wound%20Chart-MZ.htm

You can see that the Nosler Partition and the Barnes MZ are close to each other in Penetration depth.

Check out the formula for SD and TSD and see how meplat figures into it. Note that a fragmenting bullet has a near zero final weight, so making TSD very small for this type of bullet. Note that the Copper Magnum Black Belt is sold today asa PB.

Chap

Quick Reply: Thompson/Center Superglide Shock Wave Sabot Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.