Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting Bags

Old 06-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shooting Bags

I am wanting to get front and rear shooting bags. What are your recomendations and why? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting Bags

There are lots of options out there. Years ago when I loaded for trap, I used to haul out bags of shot, stack them on the table and use them as a rest. It worked good but was not real portable.

Caldwell makes some nice bags you fill with rice and can be bought for under $20.00 sometimes. I have a set they work good. If you can get some simple emptyshot bags (or have someone with a sewing machine, canvas and good thread) and access to a sand pit you can make your own.I used sand weights from the lumber yard. You can buy bags of sand in 80 pound bags for holding signs up in the wind, etc.. all of these work. It is a matter of what you want to carry around.

What you want to look at is portability if you do not have your own range or believe you need to bring everything inside at the end of the day. When you have to move things around, then of course you do not want to be hauling #80 pound lumber yard bags around. Caldwell bags are nice, or perhaps you might want to invest in a range rest. I bought a cheap Caldwell rest and it works great. I think it was under $40.00. Some buy real expensive rest. It all depends on what you want and what you want to spend.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recently Ibought a Caldwell "The Rock Jr." and I love it. I paid $40 I think it was at Sportman's Warehouse for it. I don't shoot a lot so I wasn't looking for something that would cost me and arm and a leg. For a back rest I took a tube sock and filled it full of rice and tied it off. The reason I like the rest over the bags is that it allows me to adjust up and down easily. It's very solid. Growin' up we used to just shoot off the hood of the truck on pillows... My-my how times have changed.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have an MTM Predator rest. I just don't get the same feel every shot with it. That is why i thot shooting bags would be better.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a friend that does all his shooting with a walking/shooting stick and a table. He leans that stick to the table, puts his toe against the bottom, gets a good grip with his off hand, rests on is hand, and shoots like that all the time. When we hunt he carries that same walking stick and he shoots just as good in the woods as he does on the range..

I do know what you mean by, you don't feel the same each shot behind a rest. I have that happen to me some days. I know it is not the same grip and I have to stop and readjust until feel comfortable.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TNHagies

Recently Ibought a Caldwell "The Rock Jr." and I love it. I paid $40 I think it was at Sportman's Warehouse for it. I don't shoot a lot so I wasn't looking for something that would cost me and arm and a leg. For a back rest I took a tube sock and filled it full of rice and tied it off. The reason I like the rest over the bags is that it allows me to adjust up and down easily. It's very solid. Growin' up we used to just shoot off the hood of the truck on pillows... My-my how times have changed.

I just ordered one today from Midsouth...any body else using one ?
Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gimpy - I have the same proble with my MTM. And acuracy suffers too. I now use plain old shot bags filled with sand. Portability is no problem for me as I can drive right up and put all my stuff on my tailgate. But if portability is a problem, you can fill the bags with rice or bird seed. You get the same feel with less weight.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Spike

Wow, i justused cut off legs from a pair of jeans sewn on one end then filled with sand and then used a plasticwire tie on the other.Works fine for me[&o]
Old 08-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

To each his own what ever works for you, I bought a bunch of flour sacks at a yard sale and cut them horizontally had the wife sew them put sand in the ones for the front and rice in the ones for the back. I tried a couple of those fancy ready made set ups and could not get as good a group so I guess I will have to stick with what works. Lee
Old 08-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3. could not find one that worked well for me.

set of stony point I got from walmart for $22

homemade on made from a board and cut piece of foam.

mtm site and clean $25 at walmart

list from best to worst in my mind.

been looking at the rock jr.

Quick Reply: Shooting Bags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.